▪ Fort Mill’s newest Town Council members, Ken Beam and Peggy Childress, were sworn in at the regular Town Council meeting.
▪ Joe Sutton, who had served as teacher, assistant football coach and junior varsity softball coach at Indian Land High School, submitted his resignation.
▪ Gary Welch Jr., of Harris Road, Fort Mill, received the Mason of the Year award for 1997 from the Catawba Masonic Lodge no. 56.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Arson was suspected in the burning of a revival tent and $5,000 damage to other equipment in the front yard of an Indian Land pastor.
▪ A new mayor, Harry Hallman and two new councilmen, Charles Powers and Jake Jennings, were sworn in at installation ceremonies at Fort Mill Town Hall.
▪ The Fort Mill area received its first snowfall of any consequence this winter. The dusting amounted to little more than half an inch.
▪ U.S. Air Force Staff Sergeant Kenneth B. Wright, 1966 Fort Mill High School graduate, arrived for duty at Scott AFB, Ill.
▪ The Indian Land Warriors dropped a double header to the Buford Yellow Jackets 71-85. The Warriorettes lost 34-68.
▪ Sara James, believed to be the oldest person in Fort Mill Township, died in her home in the Paradise community. Jones was reported to be 100 years old.
▪ The Indian Land High School faculty chose Miss Barbara Yarborough as the school’s Daughters of the American Revolution award winner for 1957-1958.
▪ The Fort Mill Troop of Boy Scouts, which had been inactive for some time, recently reorganized.
▪ James Turner, young Fort Mill man charged with violating the “peeping Tom” law, was bound over to general sessions court under $300 bond.
▪ Playing at the Majestic was “The Square Deal Man” with William S. Hart, the foremost western actor of the day and “Melting Millions” with Smiling George Walsh.
▪ The opening of the Spring term of the graded school was delayed a week due to the failure of the heating plant during the recent cold snap.
Chip Heemsoth is a lifelong resident of Fort Mill