Fire claimed about half of a Tega Cay home Thursday night, though the family living there made it outside safely.
A fire began in the garage at 3022 Amaranth Drive, in the Lake Ridge area, at about 8 p.m. Thursday. Michael and Brandi Clark were home with their 3-year-old son. All three made it out to the street.
“Every single neighbor was out here standing with us, asking how they could help us,” Brandi Clark said.
It could be a couple of months, she said, before the family can return to house or make other arrangements. A vehicle was badly damaged by fire, too.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“It’s not a total loss,” Brandi Clark said. “The fire pretty much contained itself to the garage, but there’s lots of smoke.”
Fire and insurance inspectors were out Friday, as neighbors came by offering gifts and asking how they could assist. An immediate cause wasn’t known. County fire inspector Lou Jarvis said Monday morning he was returning to the scene to meet with an insurance agent.
“We know where it started,” Jarvis said. “It’s just a matter of how it started.”
Brandi Clark said inspectors had it narrowed down by Friday to a couple of likely causes.
“They’re saying that it’s either the garage door opener or some charger that my husband had for his drills,” Brandi Clark said.
The family lived in the home since 2012. The came from Atlanta, but Brandi Clark is from New Orleans and the fire damage is minimal compared to the loss her family members suffered during Hurricane Katrina, she said. Brandi Clark said she was most concerned with the family getting out safely, but then for whatever her students at Tega Cay Elementary School, where she teaches second grade, might hear.
“Just pray for us,” Brandi Clark said. “I know my students are really worried about me. Just know it’s only stuff. Stuff can be replaced.”
John Marks • 803-547-2353