▪ The Oakridge Middle School baseball team won 4-0 April 24 against Clover Middle School in the first round of the conference tournament. Kevin Rylie earned the win, pitching a complete game, giving up two hits. The team had 10 hits. Contributing for the team were: Rylie, Jake Hylinski and Payton Barrow - each with two singles, Billy George and Dennis Matias, both doubles, Hunter Holland and Kolby Crepeau - each with one hit and a single.
▪ The team won the conference tournament April 26 by defeating Northwestern 6-3 in the semi-finals and Rock Hill 8-0 in the finals. The team ended the season 12-2, winning both the regular season and the tournament.
Game one: Jake Hylinski pitched a complete game against Northwestern, with eight strikeouts and giving up three hits. Offensively the team was led by: Dennis Matias - 1 single and 1 RBI; Billy George - single; Hylinski - 2 RBIs; Hunter Holland - 1 RBI; Kolby Crepeau - single and 1 RBI; Andrew Tully single.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Game two: Kolby Crepeau pitched a complete game earning two strikeouts and giving up no earned runs. Offensively the team was led by Dennis Matias, who had three hits (two singles and a double) and two RBIs. Also contributing for the team: Will Van Scoyoc - single and 2 RBIs; Jake Hylinski - single; Hunter Holland - 2 singles and 1 RBI; Crepeau - double and 1 RBI.
▪ The Oakridge team beat Dutchman Creek 20-17 on April 28. Dutchman took a 14-1 lead, however, OMS scored eight runs in the top of the third to close the gap to 14-9. In the top of the fourth, OMS plated five runs to tie the game. The Lady Eagles scored three runs in the top and gave up two runs in the bottom of the inning to take a 17-16 lead into the last inning. Oakridge added thre more runs in the top of the sixth inning and only allowed one run to finish the game. Leading the way for Oakridge on offense were: Katy Sutton - 4 for 5, 6 RBIs, 4 runs; Gwen Brochu - doubled, 2 RBIs, 1 run; Tia Kalau - singled, 3 runs, 2 steals; and Maggie Wilson - singled, 3 runs, 2 steals. The team finished 7-4 overall and third place in the conference.
▪ The Golden Eagles track teams competed April 30 the against York County teams at Winthrop University.
The girls’ team finished eighth out of 12: 200 meter - Emma Johnson, second; 400 meter - Imani Rivas, seventh; sprint medley – Rivas, Johnson, Mindal Reese, Tiona Walls, first; 100 meter – Johnson, first; 4 by 400 relay – Sydney Frascht, Olivia Beaudin, Sara Nguyen, Cassidy Pierce, eighth; discus - Deylon Harkey, eighth.
The boys finished 10th out of 12. Sprint medley – Heze Massey, Justin Lui, Hayden Johnson, Collin Schmolze, eighth; 4 by 400 relay – Laz Borges, Tony Daniels, Drew Brightman, Schmolze, sixth; discus – Blake Keffer, third.
▪ The last game for the OMS boys’ soccer team April 29 ended in a 0-0 tie. As time was added in overtime, the score remained scoreless and opened up for a repeat of a penalty kick shootout with Springfield as earlier in the season. Oakridge scored the first two shots and stopped one. Oakridge finished second in the tournament. Sharing a region championship, the Oakridge boys’ soccer team made history as it made it to the finals for the first time in school history.