Catawba Catfish Club held its ninth and final tournament of the 2014-2015 season May 9 on Lake Wylie with 59 anglers. All were fishing for a pot of $1,180.
Marty Green, event organizer with Jeff Green, said the morning low was 60 degrees with temps at about 84 by afternoon weigh-in. The water temperature was 71 to 73 degrees with gusty winds after 10 a.m
“In the end the bite proved to be fair to good for most anglers with 23 of 29 boats weighing in fish,” Green said. “Most anglers reported catching good numbers of fish, but the size was off some with the big fish entering into pre-spawn and spawning mode soon.”
After all weights were calculated, the team of Cat N Round – Robert Couick and Jason Love – picked up the win with a three-fish stringer of 83.25 pounds, good for $590.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The team of The Tire Depot – Mike Melton and Larry Godwin – took second and $295 with 65.45 pounds for three fish.
Brian Snipes of team Tightline won $290 for the Big Fish Pot with a 36.60-pound flathead.
Team Trophy Hunter captured the title and earned $2,124.00 with team DMD narrowly finishing in second for $1,062. Team Rod Benders – Coy Robinson – won the Big Fish of the Year with a 47.75-pound blue caught in March at Fishing Creek Reservoir. He received $354.
Sponsors of the series are: Boat Sales of Lake Wylie, Fish Bite Rod Holders, Jamie K Outdoors, Sea Tow, Q2U BBQ Pit, Kangaroo Express and Pepsi.
For more information, visit catawbacatfishclub.com/.
Catherine Muccigrosso • 803-831-8166
CCC results: May 9
1. Cat N Round-Robert Couick and Jason Love, 83.25
2. The Tire Depot-Mike Melton and Larry Godwin, 65.45
3. Get the Net-Harry Dickerson and Jamie Dickerson, 63.30
4. Tightline-Brian Snipes and Bubba Branch, 62.10
5. Cat Snatch Fever-Phil and Wes Rollings and Mike Thomas, 54.50
6. Total Chaos-Chad Catledge and Pappy Love, 49.65
7. Professional Hookers-Terry and TJ Springs and Jimmy Moore, 49.15
8. Reelin the Blues-Jeff Manning and Michael Paciocco, 46.65
9. RiverCats-Brian and Clyde Mitchell and Micael DeBus, 43.70
10. DMD-Mike Rape, David Catoe and Tony Cauthen, 40.90
11. Rod Benders-Jeff Smith amd Coy Robinson, 39.30
12. Trophy Hunter-John Terry and Steve Whitley, 35.95
13. Line Screamers-Kenny Edwards and Ric Helms, 35.10
14. Whiskers-Shane Queen and Mark Nance, 33.85
15. Drifter-Arnold Hodge, 32.70
16. Reel Time/Fish Bite Rod Holders-Marty and Jeff Green, 29.60
17. PoleKat-Benji and Riley Brown, 29.10
18. Flint River Cats-Josh and Tim Coggins and Dennis Wheeler, 28.00
19. Thunder Cats-Houston Knotts and Phillip Lovelace, 26.40
20. Fish Bite-Alan Long and Evan Martin, 19.65
21. Reel Stripper-Andrew Reising and Brandon Garrison, 18.05
22. Cashing Cats-Russ Cash and Richard Phifer, 13.35
23. Troller-Mark Follett and Lindsay Bigham, 11.30