Fort Mill Times

Fort Mill’s new fees concern business leaders

Local business leaders believe the new Fort Mill impact fees approved last week will hurt commerce.

Now they wait to find out how much.

“Not surprised,” said Rob Youngblood, president of the York County Regional Chamber of Commerce and one of a half dozen business leaders at the final impact fee vote Aug. 24. “A little disappointed. We understand that they have a tough job to do.”

Youngblood’s group, along with its Fort Mill area board, opposed any impact fee on commercial construction. The Fort Mill School District also opposed the fees, in part for the strain on businesses that fund school operations through commercial taxes. About two dozen speakers addressed Town Council in two public hearings. Most opposed impact fees.

Almost all listed the effect the fees would have on future commercial development as a top concern.

Scott Couchenour, a property owner, spoke Aug. 24 and made a final plea on behalf of business.

“I’m 200 percent for (them) – for residential,” he said. “For commercial, I really am concerned this will negatively impact small business.”

Couchenour said the paperwork on two of the six casual dining restaurants in Fort Mill sits in his office. Were impact fees in place when those restaurants looked to open, Couchenour isn’t sure they would have.

“I don’t think it would be there,” he said.

The rates approved Aug. 24 discount business costs more than any proposal made in more than a year discussing impact fees. The transportation fee, which put the highest burden on business, will charge nothing unless amended later by ordinance. Fire and municipal fees will charge half of what state law allows, while the 90 percent charge for parks and recreation applies only to residential construction.

Theron Pickens, board member with the regional chamber, said rates and concessions are important, but potential businesses won’t see so detailed a picture. They will see Fort Mill with impact fees on business.

“It’s the perception that’s put in place now,” he said.

Youngblood still opposes the fees, but said if they are in place, they need to be set where potential business can begin planning. He appreciates the transportation and other discounts. Youngblood said he supports another decision council members made at the same meeting, but would like it broadened. Council members passed a resolution calling for the state to exclude schools, nonprofits and religious groups from impact fees.

“We would like to see the state give (the town) the option of setting it for residential and non-residential,” Youngblood said.

Business leaders understand the funding crunch faced by the town. Planners expect a doubled population in Fort Mill by 2025. Impact fees are a way to pay for needed services, but business leaders vowed to help the town find other solutions without threatening new business. Youngblood still hopes his group and the town can work together.

“They had a tough decision to make,” he said. “We understand there are not a lot of options.”

This story was originally published August 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM with the headline "Fort Mill’s new fees concern business leaders."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER