Fort Mill Times

Catawba Basin remains in drought


Ed Lindsey of Lake Wylie shows a view Aug. 30 of Crowders Creek near the Highway 49 bridge.  “The cove is now land locked,” he said. “Even in the 2007 drought, which was worse than this one, the cove was never land locked. It is just another example of the increase in the shrinking of the lake because of the sediment.”
Ed Lindsey of Lake Wylie shows a view Aug. 30 of Crowders Creek near the Highway 49 bridge. “The cove is now land locked,” he said. “Even in the 2007 drought, which was worse than this one, the cove was never land locked. It is just another example of the increase in the shrinking of the lake because of the sediment.” COURTESY OF ED LINDSEY

Despite recent rain, the drought hasn’t been quenched in the Carolinas.

The Catawba-Wateree Drought Management Advisory Group’s Stage 1 listing for the Catawba basin remains intact. Stage 1 asks residents for voluntary water-use restrictions, and outlines conservation for water providers. Stage 2 would bring mandatory restrictions.

The low inflow protocol system is the model used by Duke Energy and municipal water users who make up the advisory group. That system relies on, but is different from, national and state drought status listings.

“We appreciate the continued mindful use of water by the community as we enter the typically drier end of summer and beginning of fall season,” said Kevin Greer, group member and assistant public services director in Hickory, N.C. “Although we received some rainfall in the basin, it hasn’t been enough to substantially improve conditions.”

The group advises municipalities, which determine specific conservation measures to implement.

Stage 0 began in July, moving to Stage 1 status July 20. Stage 4 is the most severe listing, one that hasn’t been reached since the low inflow protocol system began during the record 2007 drought.

North Carolina Drought Management Council downgrading several counties to Stage 1, including Mecklenburg and Gaston counties on Aug. 27. Those counties had been upgraded Aug. 4 to Stage 2 severe drought. Residents are asked to “minimize nonessential uses of water,” but nothing is mandatory. Visit ncdrought.org/ for more information.

The S.C. Drought Response Committee last met July 16, when members upgraded the drought status of every county in the state. York is one of 28 counties in the second, or moderate stage of drought. Remaining counties are in first level, or incipient drought.

During this stage, residents are asked to voluntarily conserve water, including limiting watering to no more than two days a week and reduce washing sidewalks or parking lots.

Limited lake access

By Aug. 5, more boat ramps were closed on Lake Wylie as several North Carolina counties were upgraded to severe drought status. Boaters are urged to use caution at all open ramps, docks or marinas on the water.

Duke Energy closed all four ramps at Allison Creek Access Area Aug. 3, and two of four ramps at Buster Boyd Access Area, the busiest ramps on the lake, Aug. 5. Ramps at Copperhead Island in Mecklenburg County and Ebenezer Park near Rock Hill in York County are managed by those counties, while the rest fall under Duke management. Copperhead Island ramps also are closed, according to Mecklenburg County Park & Recreation Department website.

Ebenezer Park ramps remain open. However, York County announced July 29 the county park’s swimming spot was closed to the public for the rest of the summer because of low lake levels. Ebenezer Park is the only public access point for swimmers on Lake Wylie outside of Tega Cay, which requires a parking permit.

Lake Wylie sits more than 5 feet below full pond level. Under normal conditions, 3 feet below is the target and 6 feet below is the minimum level before the shallowest water intakes or other environmental factors are threatened. At press time Friday, lake levels were 5 inches above the minimum. Lake Wylie has been below the target level since July 3.

Boat ramps last closed during the record 2007 drought for several months as conditioned worsened. Nivens Creek ramp near Fort Mill was the only ramp still open by that fall. During a 2002 drought, all ramps closed.

View lake levels at duke-energy.com/lakes.

Catherine Muccigrosso contributed to this article.

John Marks: 803-831-8166

This story was originally published September 1, 2015 at 2:34 PM with the headline "Catawba Basin remains in drought."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER