Fort Mill Times

Regent Park redevelopment plan takes step forward

A plan to redevelop part of the Regent Park golf course into homes took a step forward, but work remains to be done.

York County Council voted 5-2 last week to proceed to a third and final reading on a rezoning for Meritage Homes. The company wants to put 67 homes on 27 acres off Regent Parkway. The site is near other parts of the course where townhomes and apartments are planned.

Council and community members discussed frustration with the proposal for more residences at first reading, but also concern with the property already zoned to allow many more townhomes or apartments than would come by approving the single-family homes.

Tom Kutz, representing Meritage Homes at the second reading Feb. 15, said the company has doubled and quadrupled buffers, continued trails using existing golf cart paths and clustered homes together to preserve open space.

“We feel like we’ve presented a plan that meets the neighbors, the HOA and the best interests of Meritage Homes – all three parties,” he said.

Councilman Robert Winkler switched his vote from first reading to second, saying illustrations from the developer show lot sizes at a greater density than homes right beside the property. Without changes, he won’t support the plan as presented.

Councilman Bruce Henderson cast the vote against the project at first reading, and hasn’t changed his stance. He, too, cites density compared to neighborhoods nearby.

“That was definitely one of the main reasons I was against it last time, and I will be against it this time unless there’s some pretty drastic lessening of the density,” Henderson said.

Other members had similar concerns. Councilman Michael Johnson, who represents the Regent Park area, said work still needs to be done despite Meritage feeling comfortable with the plan as submitted.

“My concern is the people around them don’t feel comfortable, and we’re going to continue to work to get that done,” he said.

Johnson said his vote to move the request forward centers around continued conversations between the developer, county and neighbors.

“What I’m asking is for that time between now and then,” Johnson said.

Council members Christi Cox and Chad Williams said they still want to see changes, but will give it until third reading.

“I’m looking for a reduction in density, too, but I will allow it to go forward to third reading for this discussion to continue,” Cox said.

No date for a third reading has been set.

Rezoning request scrapped

Another Fort Mill area rezoning won’t move forward. Earth and Woods applied to rezone property at 3354 S.C. 160 West, a former plant nursery near residential subdivisions. The company, which wants to open a new nursery there, withdrew that request as residents spoke out against the plan.

To bring the issue back up, Earth and Woods would have to begin the rezoning process from scratch.

“The withdrawal is to end pursuit of that rezoning, and any new rezoning request would be re-initiated,” said county attorney Michael Kendree.

Council unanimously gave the second of three needed readings for a rezoning that will allow for a Lidl grocery store at Pleasant and Coltharp roads. The German discount grocer has about 10,000 stores in 26 countries, and is now working to open in the U.S. market by 2018.

A typical store is 36,000 square feet.

This story was originally published February 24, 2016 at 11:15 AM with the headline "Regent Park redevelopment plan takes step forward."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER