Fort Mill Times

Column: Do you remember?

1996

▪ Once again, the old Center Theatre building on Main Street changed hands. Owner Jim Wasson sold the property to Van and Rhonda Cloniger of Fort Mill.

▪ The Charlotte Knights opened the 1996 baseball season in Knights Castle in Fort Mill Township with a 7-1 loss to the Norfolk Tides.

▪ Wayne Bouldin of Fort Mill and Richard Guicheteau of Tega Cay were honored by the York District of the Palmetto Boy Scout Council.

▪ Residents of Harrisburg Road in Indian Land were successful in blocking plans for a landfill in their neighborhood.

1976

▪ A committee headed by Odell Walker and H. E. Adkins expressed their concerns about traffic in downtown Fort Mill to city council.

▪ Fort Mill Police had been unable to turn up any clues on the fire that destroyed Potts Grocery in Paradise. Arson was suspected.

▪ Pictured in the Times were Fort Mill’s three standing water tanks. One was at Unity Cemetery, another sat atop Massey Hill and the third on Monroe White Street.

▪ Bill Alexander of Meyers Street announced his candidacy for an unexpired term on Fort Mill City Council.

1956

▪ Two Fort Mill High School boys, Carroll Smith and Bill Stallings, members of the driver’s education class, placed second and third at the Teen-Age Rodeo in Rock Hill.

▪ Hurley Phifer and Mary McCallister were announced as valedictorian and salutatorian of the Fort Mill High School Class of 1956.

1936

▪ Donkey baseball, sponsored by the Fort Mill Post of the VFW, came to Fort Mill for two nights. The games were played at the Fort Mill ball park in Whiteville Park.

▪ White Cousart brought to the Times office a pair of leg irons found 10 feet down in a gravel pit near the old Unity Cemetery.

1916

▪ Gold Hill School in upper Fort Mill Township closed an eight months’ term with a basket picnic. Teachers were Prof. F. W. Dickson and Misses Lula Therrell and Mary Garrison.

▪ Mr. S. A. Epps was elected foreman of the Grand Jury of York County for the next term.

  Comments