Show ski team to start season amid news of trailer recovery
As Carolina Show Ski Team members await details on their stolen trailer and supplies, they’re preparing for a show schedule that won’t stop regardless what they recover.
The trailer and at least some of the items inside have been recovered since the April theft put the team’s schedule in doubt, the York County Sheriff’s Office said.
Trent Faris, spokesperson for the sheriff’s office, said details were still coming in, but his department was able to recover the ski team trailer stolen from a storage facility lot just days before practice began for a new ski show season.
“The Carolina Show Ski Team trailer that was stolen back in April has been recovered,” Faris wrote in a media update.
Team board member Rebecca Brusch said she was aware of the recent development, but was waiting for law enforcement to verify what was and wasn’t recovered. She was told the trailer may have changed hands several times before an owner recognized some markings and searched out information on the team online before reporting it.
“I think they have found that it’s been sold numerous times since it’s been stolen,” Brusch said.
The trailer is one of two owned by the ski team and, while valuable itself, the greater loss to the team was a wealth of specialty show gear. Many items were handmade and unique to show skiing. As of Wednesday morning, the team was still waiting to hear what if any of those items may be returned.
“Obviously we’re hoping if they are able to find out who took it then at least we can find out, ‘what did you do with our stuff?’” Brusch said.
The trailer recovery comes at a good time for the ski team. The team performs Friday nights throughout the summer at Windjammer Park in Tega Cay. It also has special performances both on Lake Wylie and elsewhere. Shows run this year from June 3 through mid-August.
Ernie Riddle, team president, told Tega Cay City Council two weeks ago — before updates of the trailer recovery — that the season wouldn’t be lost.
“We’re going to be fine for June 3,” Riddle said. “We may look a little rag tag for a while.”
The nature of the items stolen means it will take time to replace them.
“Those things, yes you can buy them, but you can’t go to Wal-Mart and pick them up,” Riddle said. “They’re specialty made. They’re made one at a time. It’s a process to get everything back up and going.”
Community support has helped. The city and team have partnered several times, including on the docks now available to both groups at Windjammer. The ski team is a nonprofit, which helped following the theft as donations arrived.
The team set a $20,000 fundraising goal. Options ranged from $10 for a laundry basket or $30 for doubles ropes to more than $1,500 for ballet toe hold ropes and $4,800 for 12 pair of bindingless show skis. They put the call out to borrow any equipment locals may have, though ski team gear often is a little different from typical ski equipment.
So far, close to 50 donors have contributed more than $7,000.
“We’ve received some great support from the community,” Brusch said. “We were able to re-purchase some equipment. We’re very excited to get our season going and show everyone that their support is paying off.”
The show this year is called “Skiing with the Stars,” a water-top play off of “Dancing with the Stars.” Friday night shows begin at 7 p.m. throughout the summer.
“We’re going to be ready for a June 3 show,” Riddle said. “It will be a show. It won’t be canceled. And we’ll move on and make it through for many more years.”
For more on the team, or to donate, visit carolinashowski.org.
John Marks: 803-831-8166, @JohnFMTimes
This story was originally published May 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM with the headline "Show ski team to start season amid news of trailer recovery."