The dog days of summer are still haunting the fishermen, making the fishing very tough.
“The guys are bringing some good fish to the scales but most are struggling to catch more than one or two of the bigger fish,” said Erwin Gaston, co-organizer of the Thursday Night Tournament Trail on Lake Wylie. “However, with every tournament there is that winning bag.”
On Aug. 5, the father-and-son team of Russ and David Winters were able to scratch out a limit of five bass, topping the scales at 12.56 pounds, followed by second place finishers Larry Denton and Jeff Melton with 11.88 pounds. Denton and Melton also had the big fish of the night that weighed 4.12 pounds.
“The season is quickly coming to an end with only three more tournaments to go,” Gaston said. “The recent rains we have experienced in the last few days have cooled the lake water several degrees, which should improve the fishing.”
The weekly tournament runs through Aug. 25, with launch and weigh-ins at Buster Boyd Access Area. The championship is Sept. 2-3.
Trail sponsors are Academy Sports, Kangaroo Express, Sparks Grading and Koyote Fishing Tackle.
For more information, visit LWTT.org.
TNTT results: Aug. 5
1. Russ Winters/David Winters, 12.56
2. Larry Denton/Jeff Melton, 11.88
3. Travis Young/Neil Sheehan, 10.34
4. Christian Beaumont/Hunter Johnson, 9.23
5. Joe Floyd, 9.16
6. Walt Brysik/Ben Ruebel, 7.55
7. Steven Helms/Patrick Helms, 7.42
8. Robert Fowler/Chris Dover, 7.31
9. Erwin Gaston, 7.08
10. Russell Griggs/Garrett Lang, 6.61
11. David Clanton/Shawn Pearson, 5.92
12. Conrad Pogorzelski, 5.42
13. Casey West, 4.75
14. Michael Carnes/Chris Carnes, 3.72
Big fish: Larry Denton/Jeff Melton, 4.12