Ex-York police officer accused of child abuse wants more lenient bond, contact with baby’s mom

Robert Jeffrey Taylor appears in court for his initial York County bond hearing.
Robert Jeffrey Taylor appears in court for his initial York County bond hearing. FILE. BY ANDY BURRISS

The former York County police officer out on bond after being charged with child abuse in what prosecutors say is a shaken baby case wants contact with the baby’s mother, who is another police officer charged with neglect.

Robert Jeffrey Taylor Jr., 45, could face 30 years in prison on charges that prosecutors said are “horrible” injuries to his son. He wants to be able to work, attend church and leave his parents’ home, where he is under GPS monitoring and house arrest. Additionally, in a stunning development, Taylor wants to be able to see Audrey Schurig, the baby’s mother.

Schurig faces child neglect charges from the February injuries to their son, but only Taylor is accused of physically harming the baby boy, Jaxon, who was born in November.

“It is the desire of the defendant, Robert Jeffrey Taylor and the co-defendant, Audrey Schurig, that they be allowed to have contact,” Taylor’s lawyer, Jim Boyd, wrote in a court filing.

Boyd declined to say what reasons Taylor and Schurig have for wanting to be together. A March 25 bond condition forbids Taylor from having contact with Schurig or the baby. The couple is not married but lived together before the incident.

Boyd said he will not ask for Taylor to have visitation privileges with the baby.

A hearing is set for 9:30 a.m. Thursday in York in front of Circuit Court Judge John C. Hayes III, who set the original release conditions last month.

Taylor, through Boyd, has denied wrongdoing and vowed to fight the shaken baby allegations.

Schurig’s bond allows her to have supervised visitation with the couple’s son, who is in S.C. Department of Social Services foster care custody. Prosecutors say she failed to protect the baby from Taylor.

State agents and prosecutors say the baby’s brain and neck were injured in what may be irrevocable harm.

Both Taylor and Schurig were arrested in March following a two-week investigation by State Law Enforcement Division agents after they took the baby to the hospital in Rock Hill where they lived before the incident. The child was then taken to Levine’s Children’s Hospital in Charlotte, where he received treatment for weeks before being released into DSS custody.

Taylor resigned from the York Police Department where he was a patrol corporal two days before his arrest at the hospital in Charlotte. He worked for the Lancaster and Rock Hill police departments for 17 years.

Schurig, 36, resigned from her job as a patrol sergeant with the Chester Police Department after her arrest. She worked for the York County Sheriff’s Office and Tega Cay police before working in Chester.

Andrew Dys •  803-329-4065