Crime

Man dies from wounds suffered in Rock Hill shooting incident Sunday night

One person was killed and another was injured in a shooting in Rock Hill early Sunday morning, police said.

Rock Hill police responded to a shooting in the 1100 block of Carolina Avenue Extension around 4:30 a.m., Lt. Michael Chavis said in a release. At the scene, officers found a 33-year-old man with multiple gunshot wounds lying on the ground, according to the release.

The man, James Mobley, was transported to Piedmont Medical Center with life-threatening injuries, York County Coroner Sabrina Gast and Chavis said. Mobley, from Rock Hill, died from his injuries Tuesday, Gast said.

Officers were informed that a silver sedan had left the area. They later located the car “a short distance away” with another 33-year-old man who was shot in the arm, according to the release. The man was treated for his injury at the hospital, the release said.

The investigation into the shooting is ongoing and no arrests have been made, Chavis said.

The shooting is not believed to have any connection to protests in York County or anywhere else, Chavis said.

“There is nothing that connects the incident we are investigating and anything else going on in the state or country,” Chavis said.

Before noon on Saturday, more than 1,000 people marched in Rock Hill in a peaceful protest of the killing of George Floyd on Monday in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Floyd was a black man who died after a police officer kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes in an incident captured on video.

Later Saturday, protests in nearby Columbia and Charlotte turned violent.

This story was originally published May 31, 2020 at 12:56 PM.

Cailyn Derickson
The Herald
Cailyn Derickson is a city government and politics reporter for The Herald, covering York, Chester and Lancaster counties. Cailyn graduated from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She has previously worked at The Pilot and The News and Observer.
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER