Crime

Man dies after being found shot off of East Independence Boulevard, CMPD says

police lights nighttime
police lights nighttime Getty Images/iStockphoto

A man was found fatally shot early Sunday in southeast Charlotte, marking the second homicide in the city in three hours.

The shooting happened around 2 a.m. Sunday in the 5300 block of East Independence Boulevard, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said in a news release.

Officers found 31-year-old Emmanuel Hagos Gebru with a gunshot wound. Gebru was taken to a nearby hospital but later died, the news release said.

Hours earlier, a man was found fatally shot around 11 p.m. Saturday in the Shannon Park area of northeast Charlotte, police said.

Anyone with information about the shooting should call CMPD at 704-432-TIPS or Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

This story was originally published June 27, 2021 at 12:39 PM.

Cailyn Derickson
The Herald
Cailyn Derickson is a city government and politics reporter for The Herald, covering York, Chester and Lancaster counties. Cailyn graduated from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She has previously worked at The Pilot and The News and Observer.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER