‘Needs to stop’: York County SC judge warns juveniles charged in TikTok challenges
York County Family Court Judge David Guyton pulled no punches Tuesday afternoon in a courtroom where 14 students faced charges in what court officials said were TikTok challenges. Bathroom soap dispensers were smashed or stolen, scales were heisted from classes, and other items were destroyed, officials said in court.
“This needs to stop - now,” Guyton sternly told a 15-year-old student charged with damaging a school bathroom. “Did you get your 15 seconds of fame?...This TikTok challenge is not going to be accepted.”
The student is accused of damaging a soap dispenser in a school bathroom.
The student, standing next to his lawyer, said to Guyton: “It was for the TikTok trend...It was really stupid...I feel guilty about it.”
The student’s lawyer, veteran public defender Stacy Coleman, agreed with Guyton.
“He (the accused student) will do whatever the court says to do to deter this from ever happening again,” Coleman said.
Guyton agreed with prosecutors that the student, who has no prior record, should be accepted into an arbitration program. That program, if completed with restitution and other requirements, can wipe a juvenile’s record clean.
Court filled with boys and girls ages 11 to 15
Guyton faced students as young as age 11 Tuesday who stood before him for social media related crimes that Guyton said have become a pox on society.
The Herald is not naming the students because of the students’ ages. The 11-year-old female was so scared she could not speak in court.
“Good, you appear to be scared speechless,” Guyton said.
Another student, 15, charged with petty larceny and damage to property, said in court that he did the TikTok challenge.
“I was in the moment, I thought it was funny,” the student said. “I did the trend but...It’s not funny.”
Another student, 14, who was charged with damaging a bathroom said simply: “I got caught up in a stupid moment.”
Guyton ordered each student to remove TikTok from their cellphone.
Guyton asked the students how they felt now, becoming somewhat of a sensation if the crime was posted online, and was worth it.
None of the students said the moment in the spotlight was worth it.
A York County problem
Since September, 14 students from schools in the Rock Hill, Fort Mill, and Clover school districts, middle and high schools, have been charged by police for malicious damage to property or petty larceny, or both, in TikTok challenge cases, Guyton said in court Tuesday.
All the cases involves broken bathroom fixtures or stealing of classroom materials that are related to monthly TikTok challenges that have been a problem for school districts across the country, said Whitney Payne, 16th Circuit assistant solicitor for juveniles.
Payne said the students charged in York County so far have no previous criminal records.
“These TikTok challenges have been very disruptive to our schools,” Payne said in court. “People need to know there are consequences.”
In a statement, 16th Circuit Solicitor Kevin Brackett, York County’s top prosecutor, said police and prosecutors are aware of the Tik Tok challenge cases, and will take a zero tolerance approach.
“It has come to the attention of Law Enforcement and the York County Solicitor’s Office that a number of TikTok school challenges encouraging criminal behavior have been carried out in York County schools over the last few weeks,“ Brackett wrote in the statement. “The school districts will discipline any individuals that are involved in this behavior. Individuals taking part in these challenges will also be charged by their School Resource Officer with the appropriate crime. These charges will be pursued by the York County Solicitor’s Office.
“A number of bathrooms have been damaged in our schools already, and individuals have been charged as a result of this damage. These defendants will be required to pay restitution to the schools as a part of their punishment. The newest TikTok challenge encouraging students to assault a staff member of their school will result in charges and detention for any juveniles involved. We strongly urge all parents and guardians to speak with your students and make them aware that this behavior will result in criminal charges, detention, and prosecution. These criminal charges will be in addition to any suspension, expulsion, or other disciplinary action that is taken by the school district.”
Local cases also in Lancaster, Chester
School and law enforcement officials in neighboring Lancaster County said last week a 10-year-old elementary school student hit a teacher in the back of the head on Oct. 1. That child was not charged by the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office with a crime because of the child’s age, the absence of injury to the teacher, and the expected expulsion of the child from school for striking a teacher, deputies said.
Lancaster school officials said in a Facebook post the incident happened after challenges were circulating on TikTok. That case garnered regional and national media coverage.
School districts have said in the past month there have been reports of vandalism to bathrooms in schools in York, Chester and Lancaster counties that add up to tens of thousands of dollars.
National problem
In the past month, school districts, law enforcement and prosecutors around the country have warned about consequences for students who follow ‘Slap the Teacher’ challenges, which have been called “Devious Licks.”
Guyton said he is aware the challenges change each month and that October’s challenge is apparently for students to strike a staff member at school.
So far in York County, there have been no reports or charges for challenge incidents involving striking a teacher, officials said Tuesday in court.
Guyton said in court there will be no arbitration if there are challenge cases where a teacher or staff member is hit or hurt. He told each of the students to spread the word in school that penalties will be stiff for physical violence for any TikTok challenge arrests.
“Let your friends know, let other kids know, strike a teacher, they will be in a courtroom but it won’t be for arbitration,” Guyton said sternly.
TikTok responds
TikTok is a video app for short form videos that reportedly has more than one billion users worldwide.
In an emailed statement to The Herald after the Lancaster student incident Oct. 1, TikTok officials said the alleged challenge of slap a teacher is not a trend on TikTok.
“This alleged ‘challenge’ is not a trend on Tiktok, but we would remove videos promoting such behavior if posted,” the statement said. “We expect teens to use common courtesy whether online or off and are committed to supporting messages about being good digital stewards.”
What happens now
Court officials said Tuesday they hope the challenge crimes end.
The cases Tuesday will end without prosecution and permanent juvenile records for the defendants if each completes the arbitration requirements, officials said. Successful completion of that program includes restitution, an apology letter, and other actions.
Guyton ended each court hearing Tuesday with an order to a burly York County Sheriff’s office deputy to open a side courtroom door, then bang the door shut.
“That door leads to the holding cells, and the jail,” Guyton said to the juvenile defendants. “You don’t want to be on the other side of that door and hear that sound.”
This story was originally published October 13, 2021 at 8:29 AM.