Crime

Suspect in late night SWAT standoff in Fort Mill SC has been caught, police say

A man who fired shots in a residential neighborhood before an hours-long SWAT standoff in Fort Mill has been caught, police said.

The suspect was taken into police custody after midnight Friday while trying to flee on foot as SWAT entered a Nims Street home where the suspect had been, said Fort Mill Police Department Chief Bryan Zachary.

The suspect, 58, was taken into emergency protective custody and hospitalized, Zachary said.

No one was hurt, Zachary said.

Police found a handgun and ammunition in the home, Zachary said.

The standoff

Fort Mill officers went to Nims Street around 7 p.m. Thursday after reports of shots fired, Zachary said.

A police incident report stated the man fired shots into the ground both behind and in front of the home on Nims Street.

The suspect went into a home in the 400 block of the street and refused to come out, Zachary said. The suspect barricaded himself in the house, according to a police incident report.

Fort Mill police called the York County SWAT team to come to the house.

SWAT negotiators from the York County Sheriff’s Office used a bulhorn to tell the suspect to put down any weapons and come out, but he refused, officials said.

During the standoff, police blocked off Nims Street and adjacent streets. SWAT trucks and officers wearing tactical gear circulated throughout the neighborhood.

Nims Street is northeast of downtown Fort Mill. Fort Mill is a town of more than 23,000 people between Rock Hill the Charlotte.

Police used the town’s public Facebook and Twitter social media to advise residents who lived nearby to stay indoors while police were there.

Check back for updates on this story.

This story was originally published March 11, 2022 at 8:52 AM.

Related Stories from Rock Hill Herald
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER