Crime

14-year-old boy charged with arson in fire at Black church in York County, sheriff says

The fire inside Catawba Chapel AME Zion Church near Rock Hill, South Carolina caused about $40,000 in damage, officials said.
The fire inside Catawba Chapel AME Zion Church near Rock Hill, South Carolina caused about $40,000 in damage, officials said. Street View image from July 2016. © 2022 Google

A South Carolina juvenile has been charged with arson after a fire at a Black church near Rock Hill in April prompted a federal and local investigation, sheriff’s officials said.

The suspect, a 14-year-old male, is charged with third-degree arson in connection with the fire at Catawba Chapel A.M.E Zion Church, said Cpl. Johnathan Gilbert, a spokesman for the York County Sheriff’s Office.

The suspect was arrested and is in the custody of the S.C. Department of Juvenile Justice, Gilbert said. It remains unclear when the suspect will appear in York County Family Court.

Third-degree arson is a felony under South Carolina law.

The church in York County near the Chester County line on Hall Spencer Road is made up predominantly of African-American members.

The crime does not appear to be racially motivated, Gilbert said in a written statement to The Herald.

The name of the suspect was not released because of his age.

Damage to pews at the front of the church was estimated at about $40,000, officials said in a sheriff’s office incident report. No one was hurt.

Church members discovered there had been a fire in late April when they prepared the church for Sunday worship, Sheriff Kevin Tolson said.

The investigation included federal, state and local law enforcement, according to Tolson. The sheriff’s office, York County Fire Marshal’s Office, FBI, ATF, and South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division all were involved, according to documents obtained by The Herald.

This story was originally published May 17, 2022 at 4:56 PM.

Related Stories from Rock Hill Herald
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER