SC man charged in $590K construction fraud case. York sheriff says he didn’t finish homes
A South Carolina builder has been arrested after what the York County Sheriff’s Office described as a four-month home construction fraud investigation totaling more than $590,000.
Christian Joseph Novellino, 49, of Clover, faces several charges of breach of trust, the sheriff’s office said in a news release.
Novellino allegedly did not meet terms to fulfill contracts to build or finish the houses. Those who sought refunds were offered inadequate compensation or told money was not available, the sheriff’s office said.
Warrants in alleged construction fraud
Deputies said Novellino entered into agreements to sell and build homes, and he required a percentage to be paid upfront to begin construction, according to arrest warrants obtained by The Herald.
“Once the funds were received, very little work was started and never completed of the home,” the warrants state.
The six warrants served so far against Novellino allege amounts totaling $591,944.25. The warrants allege Novellino obtained amounts of $150,000, $120,000, $104,275.50, $87,936.60, $75,900, and $53,838.15.
All the properties have Clover addresses, according to the warrants.
WSOC-TV reported the South Carolina licensing board suspended his company’s license in October. The licensing board in North Carolina is investigating the case, WSOC-TV reported.
Novellino was taken into custody Monday at his home then booked into the York County jail around 11 a.m Monday, deputies said.
The investigation remains ongoing, deputies said.
York and Lancaster counties are two of the fastest-growing in the state of South Carolina, with a number of new housing, townhome and condo developments.
This story was originally published December 5, 2023 at 10:30 AM.