Crime

Two SC sisters charged with neglect in 99-year-old Rock Hill mother’s death

The 99-year-old woman, who was found dead Aug. 14 at a Greenwood Lane home, had bed sores, bone infection and a sepsis infection, police said in the statement.
The 99-year-old woman, who was found dead Aug. 14 at a Greenwood Lane home, had bed sores, bone infection and a sepsis infection, police said in the statement.

Two daughters of a 99-year-old woman South Carolina police said died in August from a lack of medical care have been charged in the death, according to police and court statements.

Martha Carroll Rutledge, 73, and Nancy Cameron Rutledge, 68, both of Rock Hill, were arrested Friday on warrants of abuse or neglect of a vulnerable adult resulting in death, according to arrest warrants obtained by The Herald and a written statement from the Rock Hill Police Department. The woman, who died Aug. 14 at a home in Rock Hill, was identified in court Friday as Martha Rutledge.

Family members, friends and lawyers for the accused said in court Friday the two sisters, who lived with their mother for 30 years, had no no ill will toward their mom. The sisters are pillars of the Rock Hill community with no criminal records.

The daughters turned themselves in Friday and face felony crimes that carry a penalty of anywhere from probation to 30 years in prison under South Carolina law.

After their first appearances in Rock Hill Municipal Court Friday afternoon, the sisters each received a $40,000 bail.

Police: Deceased was malnourished, emaciated

In court Friday, Rock Hill police detective Tayler Tucker said the 99-year-old woman was found in her Greenwood Lane home in an “extremely emaciated state” and had not seen a medical professional in years. She was a vulnerable adult because of her age and inability to care for herself after a series of falls in 2022 and earlier in 2023, Tucker said. Her daughters were her primary caregivers.

“The smell of decomposition was overpowering,” Tucker said.

The 99-year-old had open sores and wounds and a hip bone that was partially exposed and protruding through her skin, Tucker said.

The daughters allowed their mother to remain bedridden without medical intervention while she developed sores due to the neglect, Tucker said. She weighed 74 pounds at the time of her death, Tucker said.

The 99-year-old also had a blood alcohol content of .105 and tested positive for THC, a chemical found in marijuana, Tucker said..

Tucker said it was highly unlikely because of the victim’s condition she was consuming alcohol or marijuana on her own.

Police sought warrants against both daughters after consulting with prosecutors and reviewing autopsy, pathology reports, and other information, Tucker said.

Family members respond

Ann Rutledge, who lives in Florida and is the sister of the two accused women, said in court Friday her sisters bore no ill will toward their mother.

“My mother was very adamant about not leaving her house,” Ann Rutledge said in court. “We have done everything in our power to make her comfortable and give her a long life.”

Ann Rutledge said her sisters loved their mother dearly. They threw a birthday party for their mother last year, Ann Rutledge said.

Rutledge family friends, Jim Boyd and Joe Raad, who are both longtime Rock Hill lawyers, said in court the sisters are “very trustworthy” and “solid citizens.”

Defense lawyers: Death undetermined

Rock Hill lawyer Leland Greeley represents Martha Rutledge. Rock Hill defense attorney Harry Dest represents Nancy Rutledge.

Dest and Greeley said neither sister was a flight risk or danger to anyone in the public. And Greeley said the death certificate issued Friday shows the manner of death to be undetermined.

Greeley said Martha Rutledge cared for both her parents, including her father before his death. Commenting on the 99-year-old woman’s weight at the time of her death, Greely also noted Martha Rutledge is just 82 pounds.

“I am not surprised the mother was small in this case,” Greeley said.

This story was originally published January 19, 2024 at 9:34 AM.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER