Crime

Rock Hill man who drove drunk in crash where 2 kids, woman were hurt sentenced to 12 years

A Rock Hill man’s whose license had previously been suspended for drunken driving was sentenced to 12 years in a crash that injured three people.
A Rock Hill man’s whose license had previously been suspended for drunken driving was sentenced to 12 years in a crash that injured three people. Getty Images/iStockphoto

A Rock Hill man who drove drunk in a 2022 holiday season head-on crash that left three people hurt has been sentenced to 12 years in prison, according to prosecutors and court records.

Two of the people hurt in the mid-afternoon crash were children.

Visiting Judge Alex Kinlaw of Greenville sentenced Adrian Latwan Boyd, 41, in York County criminal court Tuesday to the 12-year maximum under a plea agreement between Boyd and prosecutors, 16th Circuit Senior Solicitor Matthew Shelton said.

Boyd pleaded guilty to three counts of felony DUI with great bodily injury and child endangerment, records show. The collision happened around 1 p.m. on Dec. 30, 2022 on Ogden Road.

Boyd’s preschool-aged child, who was not in a safety seat, was hurt. And a woman and her grandson in the other vehicle also sustained injuries, Shelton said after court.

Boyd’s blood alcohol content in the 2022 crash was more than twice the legal limit, Shelton said. Boyd drove the day of the crash despite his license being suspended from a previous DUI conviction, according to Shelton.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER