York director, policeman no longer employed after egg throwing arrest: City
Two high-ranking South Carolina officials including a police officer accused of throwing eggs at kids and “catcalling” women are no longer employed by the city of York, officials said.
Timothy Lee Dover, 39, a police lieutenant over training who had been with the York Police Department for 15 years, has resigned, police chief Brian Trail told The Herald.
City officials terminated Benjamine David “Ben” Wright, 51, who had been the city’s utilities director, according to an email to The Herald Friday from Dalton Pierce, York City Manager.
York County Sheriff’s Office deputies charges both men with misdemeanor breach of peace after the June 5 egg-throwing incident on Congress Street in downtown York.
Arrest warrants in the case obtained by The Herald allege the two threw eggs from an upstairs window that hit children and a tow truck, and they were calling out to females.
The Herald and McClatchy were the first news outlets to report the incident and arrests on June 6.
York city manager apologizes to the community
York is a small city of less than 10,000 people west of Rock Hill around 30 miles southwest of Charlotte. The police department has around 40 officers and staff.
The incident happened in an area of businesses and restaurants where some of the buildings have apartments on upper floors.
Both Dover and Wright were placed on administrative leave after their arrest. City officials said an internal investigation would be done. It is unclear if that investigation is complete.
In a statement to The Herald, city manager Pierce issued an apology to the people of York.
The statement said: “On behalf of the City of York, I would like to extend our sincerest apologies to the community. This incident does not reflect the values or expectations we hold for our employees. The City understands the concern about this incident and is taking it seriously. The City remains steadfast in its commitment to transparency, accountability, and preserving the public’s trust, even in difficult and disappointing circumstances such as this incident.”
What happens next?
Both Dover and Wright were released on personal recognizance bonds after the arrest. Charges remain pending against both. It remains unclear when their cases will be scheduled for trial.
Online court records show Wright has hired Rock Hill defense lawyer Geoff Dunn and requested a jury trial in York County magistrate court.
Dunn declined to comment on the case.
Court records for Dover -- who deputies said was off-duty at the time of the incident -- do not show a defense attorney or jury trial request.
This story was originally published June 13, 2025 at 5:08 PM.