ICE to deport two from Asia in York County $25K scam after guilty pleas
ICE will deport a pair of men from Asian countries who tried to rip off a South Carolina couple of $25,000 in a York County scam.
Simand Singh, 33, from Bangladesh, and Mohsin Mohammed, 29, from India, both pleaded guilty Friday in York County criminal court to obtaining goods under false pretenses, prosecutors said.
Each had been in the York County jail on the charges and an ICE hold since after their arrest in early March. The men had been in the country on visas at the time they committed the crimes, according to prosecutor Misti Shelton.
Prosecutors agreed to guilty pleas for both for a time-served sentence as Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials take custody of the pair.
“They have been convicted of their felony crimes and will be deported,” Shelton said.
The scammers called the couple in early March, claiming to be from the couple’s bank after their account had been hacked, York County Sheriff’s Office deputies said in a statement when the two were arrested.
The culprits told the couple to take out $25,000 then hand it over to a courier purportedly from the bank. The victims called 911 and reported the call. Deputies arrested the two men near the couple’s home.