Crime

‘Could have been worse’: Rock Hill teen seeks bail in on-camera killing at store

A Rock Hill teen seen on video shooting a man outside a convenience store last summer reacted in fear because he previously had problems with the victims of the shooting , his lawyer claimed in court Wednesday.

However, prosecutors balked at that, saying “the videos tell these stories” of A’montae Kevion Markise White opening fire on a car outside the store. Another victim was shot twice in the head while sitting in the passenger seat.

Jy Querious Catoe, 19, of Rock Hill, died. Another victim who has not been identified by police survived being fired at after being hit on the head inside the store and then shot at outside, prosecutors say. Catoe was in the passenger seat of the car, which was strafed with bullets.

The shooting happened around 9:40 p.m. July 7 outside Adams Grocery near downtown Rock Hill.

White, 19, appeared in court asking for bail on charges of murder, attempted murder and two weapons charges. A 16-year-old who also is accused of firing shots faces the same charges in juvenile court.

The shooting on South Wilson Street happened near homes outside the store where neighborhood people shop. The area is busy with foot traffic, prosecutor Erin Joyner told visiting Judge Chris Taylor.

No other bystanders in or outside the store were hurt, despite the two gunman seen on video spraying bullets outside the store, Joyner said.

“It could have been much worse,” Joyner said .

The surveillance videos have not been published publicly by prosecutors or played in open court. Judge Taylor and the lawyers reviewed the videos in the judge’s chambers before the hearing.

Defense: Prior beefs before shooting

White appeared in court but did not speak. Some of his family members were in the court gallery .

His lawyer, John Mark Shiflet, said White “understands and appreciates the gravity of what he is facing” and “he regrets the outcome of the evening of July 7, 2025.”

Yet Shiflet told Judge Taylor there were “several events” over months leading up to the July shooting between the victims and both suspects.

“There was a lot that led up to this,” Shiflet said of the shooting.

Shiflet argued that on the day of the shooting, White on the video was “reacting to a clear danger” after the victims came to the store.

“He’s doing it based on fear,” Shiflet said.

Shiflet argued that White is not a danger to the public or a flight risk, and said he should get bond as the case moves forward.

Prosecutors: Videos show White and younger teen firing guns

Joyner, the prosecutor, told Judge Taylor the store videos show Catoe stayed in the car while the driver went in the store.

After White hit the driver over the head with the gun inside the store, that victim fled out the door.

“Mr. White comes out of the store, he is aiming his gun, and he opens fire, shooting multiple times,” Joyner said the video shows.

The co-defendant then starts shooting at the same time, she said.

“On the surveillance video you see no indication that either of these two victims have done anything to provoke,” Joyner said.

More, surveillance video shows “even after Mr. White has shot up that car, as he is running away, he is turning back and actively shooting, as is his co-defendant, in the direction of the two victims,” Joyner said.

As for defense claims of prior beefs involving the people involved, Joyner told the judge that the allegations are “irrelevant in the face of what you have seen on the video.”

“This was a completely unprovoked attack in which a person sitting in a vehicle died — was shot in the head twice.”

Joyner said White is a danger to the public .

A Catoe family member told the judge that White made a decision to shoot that day, and Catoe deserves justice for being killed.

What happens now?

Judge Taylor did not rule on White’s request for bail Wednesday. It remains unclear when he will decide.

No trial date has been set. Both White and the younger defendant have been in jail since they were arrested shortly after the shooting. The juvenile is in S.C. Department of Juvenile Justice custody.

Prosecutors are seeking to force the younger suspect to face trial as an adult. That process remains ongoing, as minors and their lawyers have the right to fight in court to keep the case in Family Court. Potential punishments for criminal convictions in Family Court are less harsh than in adult court and must end at age 22.

This story was originally published February 5, 2026 at 5:00 AM.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER