Crime

Judge near tears, but no prison for Rock Hill teen who killed friend with stolen gun

South Carolina Family Court Judge David Guyton is shown in court on Feb. 10, 2026 for sentencing of a 15-year-old boy who accidentally shot and killed a friend with a stolen gun in Rock Hill.
South Carolina Family Court Judge David Guyton is shown in court on Feb. 10, 2026 for sentencing of a 15-year-old boy who accidentally shot and killed a friend with a stolen gun in Rock Hill. adys@heraldonline.com

A South Carolina judge fought back tears in court over the shooting death of a 14-year-old Rock Hill boy at the hands of a friend playing with a stolen gun, yet kept the 15-year-old shooter out of prison Tuesday while issuing a stern warning about teens and weapons.

Family Court Judge David Guyton sentenced the shooter to 15 months probation and left 180 days of jail time “hanging over his head” in a York County Family Court hearing in the 2025 shooting death of Braylen Jackson. The boy pleaded guilty Nov. 18 to involuntary manslaughter and possession of a gun by a minor and had been free since. He faced potential jail time Tuesday but will serve none if he completes probation and other requirements.

“I’m sorry for what I did,” the boy told the judge. “I’ve changed, and I’m going to be a better person.”

Braylen died Sept. 25 at a Rock Hill apartment after the 15-year-old played with a gun he had stolen from an unlocked car the night before. The two boys were friends who at the time lived with their families in adjacent apartment buildings off Springsteen Road before the accidental shooting.

Guyton was visibly moved in court when Braylen’s grandmother, Valeria Johnson, stood and said she hoped the shooter learned his lesson and Braylen’s family forgave him.

“I applaud your ability to forgive,” Guyton told Johnson and Braylen’s mother, Rylan Jackson. He said that in almost two decades on the bench, he had only seen one other victim family show such grace.

The Herald is not identifying the shooter because of his age.

Guyton also ordered the boy who did the shooting undergo mental health counseling and complete community service while living with his mother in neighboring Lancaster County.

Prosecutor: Gun crime led to horrible consequences

Prosecutor Erin Joyner asked for a longer suspended sentence and 18 months probation to “reflect the seriousness of the crime” and the boy’s poor decisions to first steal the gun then play with it. The boy took the magazine that holds the bullets out of the gun but did not know a bullet remained in the chamber. That single bullet fired at Braylen’s face killed him.

“The decisions he made led to lasting and horrible consequences,” Joyner told the judge.

Johnson said Braylen was a “caring and loving” child. Since he died, the family had to have Thanksgiving and Christmas without him.

“Braylen didn’t deserve what happened to him,” Johnson told Guyton.

She said forgiveness was not easy, but accepts the shooter’s apology that he has learned from his mistakes.

“I hate that it took my grandson’s life for him to change his life,” Johnson said.

Braylen’s mother sat in court Tuesday but did not speak.

Defense: The boy has to live with killing

The shooter will have to live with what he did for the rest of his life, said his lawyer, Josh Brown of MLB Law. But Brown said the boy will complete probation and other court-ordered requirements .

“I believe this defendant will never be back in this courtroom,” Brown told the judge.

The boy’s mother was in court but did not address the judge.

Judge: Posing with guns online is not cool

Guyton called Braylen’s death a “horrible tragedy.”

He told the 15-year-old who stole the gun from a neighbor’s vehicle he was reckless, but there was no intent to kill Braylen.

But he told the shooter “he needed to hear” about “the hurt this family has suffered.”

Guyton told the boy his “bad behavior” previously in school with suspensions and smoking marijuana and other problems is unacceptable.

A combat military veteran from Rock Hill, Guyton said the boy admitted during the case investigation that he stole the gun to “look cool” after seeing other young people pose on social media with guns. That needs to stop, Guyton said.

More, Guyton urged the public who own weapons to lock up their guns properly. The weapon was stolen from an unlocked vehicle in the same apartment complex.

“It’s an ongoing problem we can’t seem to resolve,” Guyton said of stolen guns used in crimes.

This story was originally published February 10, 2026 at 1:02 PM.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER