Crime

Bond denied to Chester man accused of firing at deputy during shootout, chase

The Chester man accused of taking at least three shots at a pursuing deputy last month was denied bond Thursday.

Prosecutors said that Chester County Sheriff’s Office deputy Cedric Dunn is “very concerned” that Akiel Pendergrass, 21, is dangerous to police and the community.

In the July 28 incident, Pendergrass allegedly was involved in a fight at his home when he came out and shot at a car, prosecutor Karen Fryar said. Police were called and Pendergrass allegedly jumped from the moving car he was in while chasing the men from the fight.

Police said Pendergrass took “at least three shots” at Dunn.

Pendergrass was caught minutes later and has been in jail since.

Pendergrass’s family had sought mental health treatment for Pendergrass the day before the incident and even sought involuntary commitment papers on him, his lawyer said Thursday.

A judge ordered Pendergrass undergo mental health testing while in custody.

This story was originally published August 28, 2015 at 9:42 AM with the headline "Bond denied to Chester man accused of firing at deputy during shootout, chase."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER