Judge grants bond for Chester teens accused in violent crime spree
A judge on Thursday set bond for two Chester teenagers accused in a summer crime spree that included home invasions and the burglary of a coach’s home.
Circuit Court Judge Brian Gibbons set bond for Jon-Michael Sanders and Jaden Hampton at $100,000 and $50,000, respectively.
Prosecutors say Sanders and Hampton, both 16, terrified two elderly victims by holding guns to their heads during break-ins at their Chester homes. The teens also had been dismissed from the Chester High School football team, prosecutors said, and retaliated against a coach by stealing guns, money and mementos from his home.
Gibbons imposed conditions for each teen’s bond, including house arrest, electronic monitoring, a curfew and no social media communication. Both must be enrolled in some kind of educational program, and Sanders must submit to drug testing.
Sanders and Hampton first broke into a home and held a gun to the head of an elderly man before robbing him, prosecutors have said. Days later, they broke into the home of an elderly woman and attacked her while she was in bed. She was able to escape to a family member’s home and call for help.
Sixth Circuit Assistant Solicitor Karen Fryar said that the victim from the first burglary, who turned 90 last month, died this week. He and the second victim wrote letters to the court.
Chris Powell, who coaches football and baseball at Chester High, told Gibbons the two teens had been dismissed from the football team in the spring.
“It hurts to know these are students you believe in … and these are possibly the people responsible for breaking into my apartment,” he said, adding that his home was “completely destroyed.”
“I would do anything in the world for that young man standing over there,” Powell said, looking across the courtroom to Sanders. “It breaks my heart that I’m standing here right now, because I love that kid. I love all the kids I coach.”
Family members of Sanders filled the first two rows in the courtroom.
“Every city police officer I came into contact with, I made aware who my children were,” Sanders’ mother told the court. “I was not made aware of any criminal activity involving Jon-Michael Sanders before this.”
Hampton is charged as an adult in connection with most of the crimes, but not the shooting of a mare named Grey on July 18. Prosecutors are seeking to charge both as adults in connection with the horse shooting. A third defendant in the horse shooting, a juvenile, pleaded guilty and has been cooperating with authorities, Fryar said.
Police say one of two guns stolen from Powell’s home was used to shoot Grey. The bullet severed the horse’s spine, and it had to be euthanized.
Hampton’s lawyer, Jack Swerling, noted the teen’s lack of prior criminal record when Gibbons to set bond. He said Hampton is rooted in his family in the Chester area and takes care of his great-grandmother on Sundays.
“For us, this has been a huge disappointment,” the Rev. Joseph Neal, of Calvary Baptist Church said of Hampton. “This is not what we know him to be. He’s a good boy. He’s always been a positive influence in our church and our community.
“Please, give this young man an opportunity to be rehabilitated, to make amends for what he’s done.”
Teddy Kulmala: 803-329-4082, @teddy_kulmala
This story was originally published October 22, 2015 at 7:59 PM with the headline "Judge grants bond for Chester teens accused in violent crime spree."