Crime

SC law enforcement kicks off ‘Sober or Slammer’ anti-DUI effort

As 2015 winds down, state and local law enforcement officers will be out in force to try to keep an increased number of traffic fatalities from climbing even higher.

The state Department of Public Safety on Tuesday kicked off its “Sober or Slammer” campaign to remind motorists of safe driving habits and the dangers of drunken driving throughout the holiday season.

With fatalities statewide up by more than 120 compared to the same time last year, Lance Cpl. Gary Miller said, it can’t be stressed enough.

As of Sunday, 892 people have died on South Carolina roadways compared to 771 on Dec. 13, 2014, Miller said. Tuesday’s kickoff included news conferences at several locations around the state, including one in Rock Hill with representatives from several local law enforcement agencies.

So far in 2015, York County has had 12 traffic fatalities compared to 23 at the same time in 2014, according to the Highway Patrol. Lancaster County has had 13 fatalities compared to 14 this time in 2014.

But fatalities in Chester County have more than doubled – from eight at this time last year to 17 as of Sunday.

“It affects so many people more than that,” Miller said of the nearly 900 people killed on state roadways this year. “If you’ve got five people in your family, that’s five immediate family members. You multiply that times 1,000 – that’s a minimum of 5,000 people directly affected by fatal collisions we’ve had in this state.”

The DUI blitz will include public safety checkpoints and enhanced enforcement through Jan. 1, targeting what officials say are “preventable” highway fatalities and injuries caused by drunken driving.

“Drunk driving is not an accident,” Miller said. “Somebody knows they’ve been drinking before they get behind the wheel.”

The silver lining in South Carolina’s number this year, Miller said, is seat belt usage, which sits at an average of 93 percent.

The numbers beyond that are still troubling, he said. Of 596 people killed in collisions who had access to seat belts, authorities have only been able to confirm that 251 of those were buckled up.

Basic safety practices – staying within 5 mph of the speed limit, maintaining a safe following distance, not drinking and driving, not driving while distracted – will cut down on the total number of fatalities, Miller said.

Teddy Kulmala: 803-329-4082, @teddy_kulmala

This story was originally published December 15, 2015 at 7:28 PM with the headline "SC law enforcement kicks off ‘Sober or Slammer’ anti-DUI effort."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER