Education

Clover High becomes first school in 20 years invited to prestigious New Year’s Day parade

The Clover High School band practices in the school auditorium. The Blue Eagles band will perform at the 137th Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, Ca,
The Clover High School band practices in the school auditorium. The Blue Eagles band will perform at the 137th Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, Ca, Provided photo

The Clover High School marching band has an out of town gig on New Year’s Day 2026 on the other side of America.

The band will perform at the 137th Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, California, the school announced Wednesday at an assembly with band members and staff, parents and York County community members.

Clover’s band is the first from South Carolina to be invited to the parade in over 20 years, said Bryan Dillon, spokesman for the school district. Clover will be the seventh South Carolina high school band to perform at the parade.

Performing at the annual Jan. 1 parade is a prestigious accomplishment for the students and community, band director Rick Langdale said. Usually there are around 20 marching bands from around the country in the Tournament of Roses parade selected based on a musicianship, marching ability and entertainment, the event web site shows.

The Rose Bowl Parade, and the trip surrounding it, is a thrilling experience and achievement, Langdale said.

The five-plus mile California parade in front of more than a million spectators and seen nationally on television, is hosted by the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association.

The Clover High School marching band lines up for awards at an event in Tennessee earlier this fall.
The Clover High School marching band lines up for awards at an event in Tennessee earlier this fall. Clover High School

Clover’s marching band is one of the largest in the state with has around 280 members. The marching band, called “The Pride of Clover,” performed earlier this year in Ireland at the St. Patrick’s Day parade, Langdale said.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER