Politics & Government

30 days later, axed Clover cell tower still not officially dead

MCT

A controversial cell tower in Clover axed last month by the town’s zoning board still is not officially dead – the board still has not issued a written decision on rejecting the tower.

Clover’s zoning board of appeals – in a heated May 26 meeting during which dozens of residents opposed the 180-foot tower that would have been built just yards from homes and a church – upheld an appeal opposing the town issuing a permit for the tower.

Officials from the tower company refused to say after the boisterous meeting – the second such vote where there was a clash between residents and the town and tower officials – whether the company would seek legal action to try to overturn the decision.

However, the zoning board, has not issued a written ruling. While residents were jubilant that the tower was denied, foes want to see the written ruling and want to know if it will be appealed.

“We are anxiously waiting,” said Todd Blanton, a Town Council member who was part of the charge to defeat the tower that coalesced neighbors into a unified anti-tower front.

A written decision by the board starts a 30-day legal window for the tower company to either let the project go or file a lawsuit in civil court asking for a judge to review the zoning board’s decision, said Clover town attorney Al Haselden. The zoning board could issue a written ruling or call another meeting to talk about the decision and formalize it, Haselden said, although no such meeting has been scheduled.

Blanton said his concern is not about the proposed tower itself.

“It’s not the tower,” he said, “it is the location.”

This story was originally published June 24, 2016 at 1:55 PM with the headline "30 days later, axed Clover cell tower still not officially dead."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER