South Carolina Gamecocks

South Carolina’s Ashlyn Watkins announces year-long break from basketball

University of South Carolina’s Ashlyn Watkins (2) poses with the SEC Tournament trophy after the Gamecocks won the Tournament at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville on Sunday, March 9, 2025.
University of South Carolina’s Ashlyn Watkins (2) poses with the SEC Tournament trophy after the Gamecocks won the Tournament at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville on Sunday, March 9, 2025. tglantz@thestate.com

South Carolina women’s basketball forward Ashlyn Watkins is taking a year off from basketball and won’t play this season, she announced on social media Friday. 

In her statement she said she will “come back even stronger” in the 2026-27 season.

“I’m so grateful for my coaches, the USC medical team, my teammates, and everyone who’s supported me along the way,” Watkins said. For now, I’ll be cheering on my team and working hard to come back even stronger in the 2026-27 season.”

Watkins averaged 7.2 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game through 14 games for South Carolina before tearing her ACL against Mississippi State in January. She was ruled out for the season shortly thereafter. 

Watkins missed the Gamecocks’ opener this season; she was suspended after having been arrested on charges of first-degree assault and battery and kidnapping in August. Those charges were eventually dismissed.

South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley said in April at the Final Four that Watkins’ recovery was “going smoothly.” At that point Watkins had been off crutches for a while and was on pace for a return to doing on-court work in some capacity by mid- to late summer, Staley said.

Here is Watkins’ full statement, posted on her Instagram:

“As most of you know, this past year has been a roller coaster for me. I usually like to keep my personal life private, but every time I step out into the community, I realize I’m not alone in this journey.

“So many of you have shown me love and encouragement, and because of that, I feel like I owe you a little insight into what’s been going on.

“I also want the younger ones who look up to me to know that tough times don’t define you, they make you stronger. With everything that’s happened this year, I’m going to take some time off to focus on myself, my community, my faith, and my family, so that I can grow as an individual and attempt to master this journey of life.

“I’m so grateful for my coaches, the USC medical team, my teammates, and everyone who’s supported me along the way. For now, I’ll be cheering on my team and working hard to come back even stronger in the 2026-27 season.”

The South Carolina women’s basketball team endorsed Watkins’ message, reposting it and writing “We (love) you Ash!!” on X shortly after her announcement. Staley was also supportive of Watkins’ decision in a statement provided to The State.

“Everyone in our program is valued as the whole of who they are, not just as a player or coach or staff member and not just for the time they are on our team,” Staley said. “We will support Ashlyn as she works through getting her body and mind stronger; and we will be here when she is ready to return.”

Watkins was set to be a senior in 2025-26. She will have at least one year of eligibility remaining after she sits out this season. It’s unclear whether Watkins could also pursue an additional medical redshirt year from last season’s injury.

University of South Carolina forward Ashlyn Watkins (2) plays during the first half of action in the Ally Tipoff at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte on Sunday, Nov. 10, 2024.
University of South Carolina forward Ashlyn Watkins (2) plays during the first half of action in the Ally Tipoff at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte on Sunday, Nov. 10, 2024. Tracy Glantz tglantz@thestate.com

South Carolina roster outlook without Watkins

With Watkins no longer playing in 2025-26 it once again leaves South Carolina without a potential contributor in the post. 

When Watkins went down last year, the Gamecocks relied heavily on the trio of Sania Feagin, Chloe Kitts and Joyce Edwards at the forward spot. Kitts and Edwards will likely play an even bigger role this coming season, especially now that Feagin is in the WNBA. 

Staley was able to make a key addition to the post when she signed Mississippi State transfer Madina Okot this offseason. Okot is listed at 6-foot-6 and averaged 11.3 points and 9.6 rebounds for the Bulldogs last season. She has starting five potential but can also come off the bench, depending on what Staley needs. 

South Carolina also returns Maryam Dauda and Adhel Tac at the forward position next season. Dauda struggled to begin the season but found a groove in spot minutes during the postseason for the Gamecocks. Tac played sparingly last season. 

South Carolina WBB 2025 roster outlook

  • Drafted into WNBA (3): G Te-Hina Paopao, G Bree Hall, F Sania Feagin
  • Transferred out (2): F Sakima Walker (Cal), G MiLaysia Fulwiley (LSU)
  • Sitting out this season (1): F Ashlyn Watkins

  • Transferred in (2): G Ta’Niya Latson (Florida State), F Madina Okot (Mississippi State)
  • Returning (8): G Raven Johnson, G Maddy McDaniel, G Tessa Johnson, F Chloe Kitts, F Joyce Edwards, F Maryam Dauda, F Adhel Tac
  • Incoming freshmen (2): G/F Ayla McDowell, G/F Agot Makeer

This story was originally published July 25, 2025 at 3:41 PM with the headline "South Carolina’s Ashlyn Watkins announces year-long break from basketball."

Related Stories from Rock Hill Herald
Michael Sauls
The State
Michael Sauls is The State’s South Carolina women’s basketball reporter. He previously worked at The Virginian-Pilot covering Norfolk State and Hampton University sports. A Columbia native, he is an alum of the University of South Carolina.
Dwayne McLemore
The State
Director of Sports at The State in Columbia, South Carolina. A University of South Carolina Class of 1997 graduate who joined The State in October 2007. I’m part of the APSE award-winning Sports staff that includes our work on the South Carolina Gamecocks and Clemson Tigers. Previously worked for The (Myrtle Beach) Sun News and Gaston (North Carolina) Gazette.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER