What are USC’s transfer portal priorities for football? Shane Beamer weighs in
The transfer portal officially opened on Friday and South Carolina football coach Shane Beamer reiterated what the team’s top needs are for next year’s team.
“I wouldn’t say there is any drastic change in what the priority is. It is still the line of scrimmage,” Beamer said Friday at a press conference introducing new defensive ends coach Deion Barnes. “Defensive end, outside linebacker, defensive tackle, offensive line. You watch some of those (playoff) games… and you look at the guys who are dominating on the line of scrimmage, the defensive line position. They are the ones who are having a lot of success in these playoff games. It starts inside out and up front.
“That is what we have to get better by adding to what we already have. We got some really, good players on both sides of the ball that are coming back on the line of scrimmage.”
The Gamecocks’ defensive line will be bolstered with the return of All-Southeastern Conference defensive end Dylan Stewart, but they are losing starters Bryan Thomas Jr., defensive tackles Nick Barrett and Monkell Goodwine to graduation.
Offensive line is a glaring transfer portal need for Gamecocks
The offensive line is one of the most glaring needs with eight players announcing their intentions to transfer after Josiah Thompson’s announcement on Jan. 3. The Gamecocks signed three high school players on that line during the early signing period but definitely need to remake the offensive line room under new OL coach Randy Clements.
On3 reported that the Gamecocks will get a visit on Jan. 6-7 from Iowa State’s Brendan Black, a three-year starter who is ranked in the top-10 of offensive lineman in the portal. CBS Sports’ Chris Hummer reported that LSU’s DJ Chester is also scheduled to visit the Gamecocks.
The lines might not be the only area of interest as the Gamecocks also could bolster their secondary, which is losing Brandon Cisse and Jalon Kilgore to the NFL Draft. Cisse, a SC native was a portal addition last season from NC State and figures to go early in this year’s draft. Four-year starter DQ Smith also is graduating.
Who will be on the USC football roster next season?
Another experienced quarterback might not be out of the question. The Gamecocks return starting QB LaNorris Sellers but the other two scholarship players are on roster redshirt freshman Cutter Woods and incoming freshman Landon Duckworth.
Nyck Harbor is back at receiver and USC had a big signing at the position last year, but the Gamecocks are losing Vandrevius Jacobs, who led the team with 32 catches, to the transfer portal along with freshman Brian Rowe.
Beamer also mentioned Thursday the possibility of adding another kicker or punter, especially with the Southeastern Conference allowing teams to go from 85 to 105 scholarship players for the 2026 season. Typically, those two positions might be filled by walk-ons but the extra scholarships will give teams flexibility.
Redshirt freshman Mason Love handled punting duties last season. William Joyce was the team’s starting kicker but will graduate, leaving freshman Max Kelley, who redshirted in 2025, as the only scholarship kicker.
“Scholarship or not, we need to add some depth in that room from a competition standpoint, saving their legs standpoint, and all of that,” Beamer said. “We’ll be looking, but I like the guys that we have. Mason did a great job this year. We’re excited about the young snappers. Max, I think he’s going to be a really good kicker but we need guys in there competing.”
This story was originally published January 3, 2026 at 8:00 AM with the headline "What are USC’s transfer portal priorities for football? Shane Beamer weighs in."