Northwestern senior Quanterius Caldwell won the 4A high jump state championship Saturday at Spring Valley High School. Caldwell, who finished second in the event in 2014, cleared 6 feet, 7 inches to best Spring Valley’s Javondi Myers by an inch.
Caldwell’s gold medal effort helped the Trojan boys finish second in the team standings, while Northwestern’s girls finished ninth in 4A. South Pointe’s boys finished sixth on the strength of a pair of second-place finishes.
▪ Great Falls’ Shyheim Kelly cleared 6 feet to place third in the 1A high jump.
▪ Indian Land’s Joshua Jacobs placed fifth in the 2A 400 meters, finishing in 51.44 seconds.
▪ Austin St. John finished fifth in the 2A 3200 meters. The Indian Land sophomore completed the run in 10:38.20, nearly 30 seconds faster than his seed time.
▪ South Pointe senior Justin Douglas ran a 14.73 to place fourth in the 110-meter hurdles.
▪ South Pointe’s Khalil Jackson took second in the 3A high jump, just missing the 6 feet, 6 inches that champion Demetre Irving, from Gilbert High School, cleared.
▪ Niegel Simmons placed second in the 3A long jump. The South Pointe Stallion jumped 23 feet, 3 inches, but was still 2 feet short of Broome’s Des Anderson, who set a new state record in the event with a 25-foot, 4.5-inch jump.
▪ Lancaster’s Keendarius Truesdale placed second in the 3A discus. Truesdale, a senior, chucked his disc 157 feet, 5 inches, but like the rest of the field, was well behind Broome’s Bauveir Jackson, who threw his 175 feet.
▪ Northwestern’s Miles Mingo placed third in the 4A 400 meters. The Trojan sophomore ran a 49.66.
▪ Northwestern senior Orlando Brown took second in the 4A 800 meters, running a 1:56.82, just over a second behind the state champ, White Knoll’s Bryan Grumbach.
▪ Northwestern’s Noah Walker placed second in the 110-meter hurdles and fourth in the 400-meter hurdles. His time of 14.61 was four-tenths of a second behind Byrnes’ James Jones, the state champ.
▪ The Trojans’ 4x400 meter relay placed fourth overall, with a time of 3:22.64.
▪ Great Falls’ Carrie Edwards finished fourth in the 1A 400 meters, with a time of 1:03.13, and also finished fourth in the high jump.
▪ Lewisville eighth-grader Megan Flynn ran a 2:27.65 in the 1A 800 meters to finish fourth in the state.
▪ Indian Land seventh-grader Kaitlyn Rodman placed third in the 2A 1600 meters, finishing in 5:30.79, only about six seconds behind the state champ. Rodman also finished fifth in the 3200 meters.
▪ Chester’s NaDera Yarborough placed fifth in the 3A 100-meter dash with a time of 12.67 seconds.
▪ South Pointe’s Olivia Paxton placed fourth in the 3A 3200 meters. The junior ran an 11:53, finishing 18 seconds out of first place.
▪ The South Pointe 4x100 relay finished fifth in 3A, running a 50.33.
▪ South Pointe junior T’Kaja Williams placed third in the 3A long jump, jumping a full foot better than her seeding length. Williams’ 17-foot, 3.75-inch jump was still nearly a foot behind state champ Savionna Glover from Beaufort.
▪ Lancaster senior shot putter Kaliya Jackson placed third in 3A in that event, tossing her shot 36 feet, 2 inches.
▪ Northwestern placed two hurdlers in the top five of the 4A 400-meter hurdles. Brianna Lewis, the defending state champ, placed fourth with a time of 1:04.66, while teammate Nicole Rauppius finished fifth in 1:04.94.
▪ Trojan ninth-grader Victoria Wilform took a bronze medal in the 4A high jump. Wilform cleared 5 feet, 4 inches.
▪ Northwestern junior Nadia White finished fourth in the 4A long jump. She jumped 18 feet, 1 inch.