Coronavirus

York County daily coronavirus cases spike by 9 as total nears 200, health officials say

Nine coronavirus cases were confirmed in York County Wednesday, and for the sixth straight day Chester County reported zero new cases, South Carolina health officials announced.

Lancaster County reported three new cases, bringing its total to 93, according to the Department of Health and Environmental Control.

DHEC reported 130 new cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, across the state, for a total of 5,881 positive tests in all 46 counties.

Since the pandemic started, there have been 197 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in York County, according to DHEC. Chester County has had 27 cases, according to DHEC.

In addition to the new cases, the department announced that 11 other individuals have died in Beaufort, Berekely, Clarendon, Florence, Greenville and Richland counties. Six of the recent deaths involved elderly individuals and five involved middle-aged individuals, according to DHEC.

Based on DHEC’s count, there have been 203 coronavirus-related deaths in South Carolina. Four residents in Lancaster County and three residents in York County have died after contracting the virus. Chester County has not reported any deaths.

York County Council member William “Bump” Roddey said the pandemic is not over and the public should adhere to safety guidelines. People need to be mindful of their own health and the health of others by avoiding groups even with the onset of warm weather that, in past years, would bring people together, Roddey said.

“I’m gravely concerned that this beautiful weather we’re having here in the Carolinas has been very enticing to many of our York County citizens to get out, visit and move about, but I urge everyone only to go out when absolutely necessary,” Roddey said “Unless it’s for food, work or medical (reasons), ask yourself, is it worth risking your life for before making the decision to leave your home.”

Lancaster County administrator Steve Willis also cautioned residents from relaxing social distancing and safety measures.

“We encourage residents to continue following the governor’s directives and to follow medically recommended practices such as wearing masks and washing hands,” Willis said. ”We are not through this event and it can get worse if we let our guard down.”

More than 54,000 coronavirus tests had been completed by DHEC’s public lab and private labs in the state as of Monday, and roughly 11% of tests have come back positive, according to the department. DHEC projected Tuesday that about 76% of those diagnosed with the virus have recovered.

Based on new projections released Wednesday, there are likely many unreported cases in the area. DHEC calculated that there are up to 1,210 unidentified cases in York County. DHEC estimated Lancaster County has as many as 571 unidentified cases, and Chester County has up to 166 unidentified cases.

According to its website, DHEC calculates the projected cases based on evidence that for every known case, there could be up to nine unidentified people with the virus.

Confirmed cases by ZIP codes

As of Tuesday night, there are cases in the following York County ZIP codes:

  • 29704 - 2
  • 29708 - 22
  • 29710 - 33
  • 29715 - 31
  • 29717 - 2
  • 29730 - 39
  • 29732 - 55
  • 29745 - 10

There are cases in the following Lancaster County ZIP codes:

  • 29058 - 4
  • 29067 - 8
  • 29707 - 20
  • 29720 - 67

There are cases in the following Chester County ZIP codes:

  • 29014 - 2
  • 29055 - 5
  • 29706 - 13
  • 29712 - 1
  • 29714 - 5

Follow More of Our Reporting on Coronavirus in South Carolina

Cailyn Derickson
The Herald
Cailyn Derickson is a city government and politics reporter for The Herald, covering York, Chester and Lancaster counties. Cailyn graduated from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She has previously worked at The Pilot and The News and Observer.
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER