Local

Man killed in Indian Land mobile home fire identified. Space heater likely to blame.

How to prevent a home fire in the winter

Home fires are more prevalent in winter than in any other season. This is due in part to an increase in cooking and heating fires. Holiday decorations and winter storms that can interrupt electrical service and cause people to turn to alternative
Up Next
Home fires are more prevalent in winter than in any other season. This is due in part to an increase in cooking and heating fires. Holiday decorations and winter storms that can interrupt electrical service and cause people to turn to alternative

One person died and another was injured Sunday in an Indian Land house fire that was caused by a space heater, emergency officials said.

On Monday afternoon the Lancaster County Coroner’s office identified the man who died as Harold Kenneth Miller Jr., 51.

Miller was a resident of the home at 1189 Camp Cox Circle. An autopsy Monday morning determined he died of carbon monoxide poisoning and thermal injuries.

The fire happened around 1:05 a.m. in the mobile home where three adults were inside, said Russell Rogers, Lancaster County Fire Marshal. The home is near S.C. 160, close to the York County line.

“The call came in before we even arrived that there was entrapment in the fire,” Rogers said.

One of the two other people inside during the fire was hurt, Rogers said. The third adult in the home was not injured, Rogers said.

The investigation into the fire is continuing, but officials believe it was accidental and caused by a space heater, Rogers said.

Officials with Lancaster County’s fire safety office had done a demonstration on safe use of heaters Saturday at Indian Land’s fall festival.

“And then the next day, we have a fatality in a fire,” Rogers said.

Firefighters from Pleasant Valley, Indian Land and Fort Mill responded, Rogers said.

The fire fatality is the second in about a month in the area. A Rock Hill mother, 35, died Sept. 30 after a house fire when she went back in the home to try and save her children.

A gofundme.com account was set up by the family, and donations are being accepted at 1042 Camp Cox Circle.

Andrew Dys: 803-329-4065, @AndrewDysHerald
Related stories from Rock Hill Herald

  Comments