8 students arrested in fight at South Pointe High School, Rock Hill cops say

Police arrested eight students after a fight at a high school in Rock Hill Friday morning, officers and school officials said.

The brawl was on the campus at South Pointe High School, said Lt. Michael Chavis of Rock Hill Police Department.

All eight students were charged with inciting a riot and disorderly conduct, according to police records. Each of the teens are juveniles, Chavis said.

The names and ages of those arrested was not released because they are minors, Chavis said.

“This fight had all the makings of a brawl that caused the school to be on lockdown,” Chavis said. “It was large enough that it took several officers to restore order to the campus.”

The large-scale fight required the campus to be secured, prompting the inciting a riot charge, Chavis said.

No weapons were involved in the fight, Chavis said. Because the fight did not involve weapons, the inciting a riot charge against each student is a misdemeanor, not a felony, Chavis said.

All eight students face criminal charges that will be handled in Family Court, according to police and court officials.

The eight students were taken from the school by police to the Rock Hill law Center for interviews and booking, said Mychal Frost, spokesman for Rock Hill school district.

What school discipline the students will face has not been released.

The school was on lockdown from the time of the fight around 8 a.m. until after 10 a.m., officials said.

Parents of all South Pointe students were sent phone messages after the fight about what happened and how school officials and police were handling the incident, Frost said.

Rock Hill police remained on campus the rest of Friday to ensure safety, Frost said.

The incident happened as the school day was starting, Chavis said. The Rock Hill police school resource officer stationed at the school called for backup after the fight broke out, Chavis said.

Officers from the Rock Hill police station, and others schools, responded, Chavis said. The situation was under control shortly after officers arrived, Chavis said.

“The call came from the resource officer to assist in the fight, so that’s why so many officers went to the school,” Chavis said.

Surveillance video at the school is being reviewed, police said.

The Rock Hill school district issued the following statement about the incident:

“This morning just before the first bell, a fight broke out at South Pointe High School. Multiple law enforcement agencies responded to assist school officials.

“During the altercation, eight students were removed from campus by law enforcement. The school was placed on lockdown from 8:15 to 10 a.m. to allow law enforcement and school officials to determine if additional students were involved. During this time, school staff sent phone messages to parents to inform them of the situation.

“By 10:15 a.m., the school resumed normal operations. As a cautionary measure, Rock Hill Police Department officers will remain on site for the remainder of the day. We continue to work with and ask for support and cooperation from students and parents who may have information about potential disturbances so we are able to keep our school campus safe.”

Related stories from Rock Hill Herald

Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.