Local

Oratory member positive for COVID-19; Rock Hill, York area Catholic churches impacted

The novel coronavirus may temporarily interrupt local residents’ Sunday routine.

The Herald confirmed that one member of The Oratory in Rock Hill tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week, forcing several churches in Fort Mill, Rock Hill, York, Lake Wylie and Chester to adjust plans in the upcoming weeks.

The Rock Hill Oratory, founded in 1934, was the first house founded in the United States. Priests and lay brothers reside there, and its members remain an integral part of local parishes in several ways, including offering Masses at its Catholic churches.

“To our knowledge, one member is positive for COVID-19,” Father Fabio Refosco, secretary at the Rock Hill Oratory, said in a statement on Wednesday. “Because there are 12 Oratorians living in the same house, we decided to self-quarantine beginning on July 14. Most of the residents were tested yesterday afternoon and three others will be tested this morning.”

Members of the Rock Hill Oratory work with:

  • St. Anne Catholic Church (Rock Hill)

  • St. Mary Catholic Church (Rock Hill)

  • St. Philip Neri Catholic Church (Fort Mill)

  • Divine Savior Catholic Church (York)

  • All Saints Catholic Church (Lake Wylie)

  • St. Joseph Catholic Church (Chester)

Refosco said in an email that St. Anne has canceled Mass. He also said a visiting priest will offer Masses at All Saints, and that all other parishes will give parishioners the opportunity to participate in Mass online, either via live stream or recorded broadcast.

Catholic churches across South Carolina allowed members of the public to attend Mass again in early May, with social distancing precautions in place. For months, the pandemic led priests to celebrate Mass privately, with many services broadcast on the internet, The Associated Press reported.

Several churches in neighboring municipalities will offer Masses in churches, including St. Anne’s in Charlotte, which is abiding by its normal Mass schedule but with limited attendance, per its website.

On Wednesday afternoon, York County added 73 new cases of coronavirus, adding to its 2,000-plus total since the pandemic started. Over 62,000 total infections and 984 deaths of people confirmed to have had the virus have been recorded in South Carolina.

This story was originally published July 16, 2020 at 7:15 AM.

Alex Zietlow
The Herald
Alex Zietlow writes about sports and the ways in which they intersect with life in York, Chester and Lancaster counties for The Herald, where he has been an editor and reporter since August 2019. Zietlow has won nine S.C. Press Association awards in his career, including First Place finishes in Feature Writing, Sports Enterprise Writing and Education Beat Reporting. He also received two Top-10 awards in the 2021 APSE writing contest and was nominated for the 2022 U.S. Basketball Writers Association’s Rising Star award for his coverage of the Winthrop men’s basketball team.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER