The smell: SC DHEC wants EPA to move faster to lessen York SC New-Indy plant odor
South Carolina officials are pushing federal regulators to take more action and speed up the process to lessen the smell coming from a York County plant.
The odors coming from the New-Indy plant outside of Rock Hill along the Catawba River are at the center of lawsuits and have led to thousands of complaints by residents of both Upstate South Carolina and in bordering areas of North Carolina.
The federal Environmental Protection Agency fined New-Indy $1.1 million in December for environmental violations, ordering plant operators to make improvements at the site.
A consent decree between EPA and New-Indy issued in 2021 went through a public comment period that ended a week ago.
The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control said in a written statement late Thursday that it wants “swift, strong action” against the plant over odor problems, and asked the EPA to work faster to lessen the smell.
DHEC also stated it expects to issue an enforcement order to New-Indy about the smell after the EPA takes action. The state agency did not say in the statement what enforcement action will be taken by South Carolina officials.
“Once EPA makes its determination, DHEC will issue an enforcement order to the facility — an order that could take stronger actions that go beyond the measures of any federal Decree,” the DHEC statement said.
“Right now South Carolinians deserve expedient, effective action in regard to New Indy,” DHEC Director Dr. Edward Simmer said in the statement. “For too long, residents of North and South Carolina who live near the facility have been enduring undesirable levels of odors that are impacting their quality of lives. It is imperative that a decisive action be taken to end the harm being done to the community.”
Company officials and DHEC have said previously New-Indy has made improvements.
DHEC officials, however said, more action is needed to minimize odors coming from the plant.
“It is important that the final EPA Consent Decree and the final DHEC enforcement order include explicit maintenance, operation, and anti-backsliding requirements,” the DHEC statement said. “DHEC will continue to fully utilize its authority pursuant to the S.C. Pollution Control Act to ensure all necessary corrective action is required of New Indy. This would include measures set forth in the proposed EPA Consent Decree but may also include any necessary measures identified by DHEC that are not included in the proposed EPA Consent Decree.”
State Sen. Michael Johnson, R-York County, has said DHEC officials understand the potential EPA order does not cover all that needs to be done in enforcement over the odors.
Ongoing problem
Many residents of the area, and lawyers who represent them in lawsuits, have said the federal action is not strong enough.
Attorneys who have filed lawsuits on behalf of residents in both states said New-Indy needs to be held fully accountable because missteps in its operation have affected thousands of people. Odors from the plant have generated as many as 30,000 complaints to state and federal agencies, The State newspaper previously reported.
Last week, a resident at an economic development meeting in Indian Land in Lancaster County confronted S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster about the smell.
New-Indy’s containerboard plant is a large employer in York County. It is owned in part by New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft. The plant was was operated by Bowater before New-Indy took it over several years ago.
Efforts to reach New-Indy’s corporate office Friday morning were unsuccessful.
The State’s Sammy Fretwell contributed to this story through previous reporting on South Carolina government actions concerning the plant.
This story was originally published March 18, 2022 at 10:52 AM.