- The town of Fort Mill agreed to pay up to $27,000 to equip a police officer patrolling the Fort Mill schools. The school district would pay the officer’s salary and benefits.
- Chris Williams, a rising senior at Fort Mill High School, was one of 10 out of 750 boys at Boys State to be nominated for Boys Nation.
- The Future Farmers of America of Fort Mill High School won the State Nursery and Landscaping contest at the FFA competition at Clemson.
- A five-game winning streak had the Fort Mill Post 43 American Legion baseball team in the hunt for the league’s only playoff spot.
- The Rev. W. E. Dowdy, pastor of the Fort Mill Church of God for the past eight years, was selected as the superintendent for the Church of God Home for Children in Simpsonville.
- Fort Mill was soaked by 36 hours of rain that dumped 6 1/2 of rain on the town.
- Warren Munday was named to the newly created position of Director of Purchasing for the Springs Mills purchasing Department.
- Thomas K. Gaither, Jr., Fort Mill native, accepted the assistant basketball coach position at Gardner Webb College
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
- The Center Theatre hosted Fred Kirby and his Little Rascals Theatre Party for two hours of fun on stage and screen. Children were lined for two blocks to see the show.
- The A&P, 205 Main Street, Fort Mill, sold Spanish bar cakes for 29 cents, Morton peach, apple or cherry pies for 23 cents each for a 10 oz. pie and 53 cents each for a 24 oz. pie and chuck roasts for 49 cents a pound.
- E. L. Case bought the filling station at the head of Main Street. His son, Harris Case, was operating the business.
- Company K, Fort Mill National Guard, entrained for a camp near Biloxi, Miss. While there, the unit would participate in the Third Army maneuvers.
- Southern farmers were delighted to hear that the Agricultural Department had discovered a poison which would destroy the boll weevil.
- Recent movies at the Majestic included William S. Hart in “The Desert Man” and “The Devil’s Double” and Douglas Fairbanks starring in “The Matrimaniac” and “American Aristocracy.”