Crime

Rock Hill man charged in shooting that led to SWAT search, school lockdown, police say

A Rock Hill man was arrested in Charlotte and now is charged in connection with a shooting last month that led to a school lockdown and SWAT manhunt, police said.

Nathaniel James Campbell III, 24, of Rock Hill, was extradited back to South Carolina Wednesday and charged with attempted murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime, said Lt. Michael Chavis of the Rock Hill Police Department.

Campbell is accused of shooting a man on Jefferson Avenue in Rock Hill on Dec. 5, Chavis said. The victim, 49, was found outside a home with a gunshot wound to his chest, police said.

The victim was airlifted to a Charlotte hospital and survived, Chavis said.

After the shooting on Dec. 5, the York County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team was sent to Brownstone Drive off Finley Road in Rock Hill because officers believed the suspect had gone to a residence, Chavis said. The afternoon SWAT situation forced a lockdown at nearby Finley Road Elementary School, Rock Hill school district officials said.

No suspect was not found by SWAT or Rock Hill police on Dec. 5, officials said.

Campbell was arrested by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department officers working with Rock Hill police, Chavis said.

Campbell was free on $6,500 bail for three drug charges from May 2019 arrests at the time of the December shooting, South Carolina court records show.

He has previous felony convictions for illegal possession of a gun, drugs, and forgery, according to York County court records.

Campbell faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted of attempted murder under South Carolina law. The weapon charge carries a maximum of five years.

Campbell was denied bond at the Rock Hill Municipal Court after he was extradited back to Rock Hill. He remains at the York County jail pending trial.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER