Crime

1 dead, 4 wounded in Lancaster County drive-by shooting, sheriff deputies say

One person was killed Sunday night and four others were injured in a drive-by shooting in Lancaster County, officials said.

The victims were shot outside a home near the intersection of Memorial Drive and Mahaffey Line Drive, said Doug Barfield, spokesman for the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office. Four shooting victims were outside the house, Barfield said. One victim was in a car with children when shots were fired, Barfield said.

Lancaster County Coroner Karla Knight-Deese identified the man who was killed as Shonquil Medley, 27, of Lancaster.

None of the other four other victims, which include three men and one woman, have been identified by sheriff’s office deputies.

The shooting happened after 10 p.m., said Barry Faile, Lancaster County Sheriff. Detectives believe the shots were fired from a car traveling on Mahaffey Line Drive, Faile said.

Two of the gunshot victims were found at the scene and taken to Medical University of South Carolina hospital in Lancaster, Faile said. At the hospital, officers found that two of the victims were already there, Faile said. A fifth victim, the woman, had driven herself to a family member’s house after she was wounded, Faile said.

Deputies found that a gathering had been going on at the home at 1342 Memorial Drive, Faile said. Several children were inside the home when shots were fired, but no one inside the house was hurt, Faile said.

No arrests have been made. Faile said deputies are seeking information from others present.

“Although we have developed some leads on our own and are pursuing them, we need those present and anyone else with information to come forward and share it with us,” Faile said. “This was a brazen, violent incident with multiple shots fired, multiple people injured, and one killed.”

The shooting is under investigation by local and state police, Faile said.

Agents with the sheriff’s office drug unit, State Law Enforcement Division, and others are assisting detectives.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER