Recently freed from prison: Rock Hill felon used hammer in murder case, police say
A Rock Hill felon who was released last month after 18 years in a South Carolina prison has been charged with murder in a man’s beating death.
Jerod Juan Cook, 37, is charged with using a hammer to beat John Ferrell II, 59, to death on Sunday, said Sgt. Allen Cantey of the Rock Hill Police Department. Cantey said in court Tuesday that Cook smashed Ferrell’s head and upper body with the hammer, then tried to hide the evidence of the brutal attack, which happened at Ferrell’s apartment on Confederate Avenue.
Cook and Ferrell were acquaintances, Cantey said in court.
“It quickly became apparent that the gruesome scene was that of a brutal attack and a homicide,” Cantey said in court. “Cook struck Ferrell numerous times in the head and upper body with the hammer. Cook then tried to destroy the evidence to avoid detection.”
Ferrell was found Sunday morning around 1:30 a.m. dead on the floor of his apartment, according to police and arrest warrants.
Police did not say what the motive was for the crime.
Cook did not address the accusation that he killed Ferrell in court Tuesday afternoon.
Cook told Rock Hill Municipal Judge Jane Modla he had been free for a month after most of the past two decades in a South Carolina prison.
“I just did 18 years in prison, straight,” Cook said in court. “I got locked up really young. I just got out a month ago.”
Cook was on community supervision, a requirement under South Carolina law, after he finished a mandatory 85 percent of a 20 year sentence at the S.C. Department of Corrections, said Pete O’Boyle, spokesman for the S.C. Department of Probation, Parole, and Pardon Services.
Cook had to report to a South Carolina agent about his activities as required by state law, O’Boyle said.
In court, Cook admitted he was on community supervision.
Cook was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2002 when he pleaded guilty in York County to 28 charges, court records show. He was convicted of five counts of felony armed robbery, 11 counts of burglary, and 12 other charges including grand larceny, assault and battery with intent to kill, and escape, according to South Carolina and federal court records.
Cook also had a previous felony conviction for arson from 2001, court records show.
Modla appointed Cook a public defender in the murder case. Modla denied Cook bond.
“This crime carries up to life in prison,” Modla said in court.
The murder charge Cook faces currently carries a minimum sentence of 30 years to a maximum of life if he is convicted, according to South Carolina law.
This story was originally published June 9, 2020 at 11:32 AM.