Crime

A Chester woman has been charged with murder after man dies in Rock Hill shooting

Rock Hill police have charged a Chester woman with murder after a man was killed and another injured in a shooting on May 30 in Rock Hill.

The suspect, Derrisha Lamontica Meeks, 23, of Chester, is charged with murder, attempted murder, possession of a weapon during a violent crime and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, records show.

On May 30, officers responded to a shooting in the 1100 block of Carolina Avenue Extension around 4:30 a.m., Rock Hill Police Lt. Michael Chavis said Sunday in a press release. At the scene, officers found a 33-year-old man with multiple gunshot wounds lying on the ground, according to the release.

The man, James Mobley, was transported to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, York County Coroner Sabrina Gast and Chavis said. Mobley, from Rock Hill, died from his injuries on June 2, Gast said.

At the scene, officers found another 33-year-old man who was shot in the arm, according to the release. The man was treated for his injury at the hospital, the release said.

Meeks was not compliant when found by police, and officers added a charge of resisting arrest, according to a release.

Meeks was out on bond for two sets of weapons charges from arrests in York County in April and May, according to South Carolina court records.

Meeks also has convictions for weapons possession, attempted armed robbery and other charges from 2019 in York County where she received a sentence of 290 days time served after her arrest in 2016, court records show.

Murder carries a sentence of up to life in prison under South Carolina law. Meeks is being held without bond at the Moss Justice Center in York.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Cailyn Derickson
The Herald
Cailyn Derickson is a city government and politics reporter for The Herald, covering York, Chester and Lancaster counties. Cailyn graduated from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She has previously worked at The Pilot and The News and Observer.
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER