Crime

Chester man gets 17 years for 2021 block party shooting after self-defense claim failed

Sundrez Gregory was sentenced to 17 years prison for a 2021 shooting after a stand-your-ground claim failed, prosecutors said.
Sundrez Gregory was sentenced to 17 years prison for a 2021 shooting after a stand-your-ground claim failed, prosecutors said. Getty Images/iStockphoto

A South Carolina judge on Wednesday sentenced a Chester man to 17 years in prison for a deadly 2021 block party shooting, prosecutors said.

Sundrez Dashaune Gregory, 28, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter at the Chester County Courthouse in the shooting of Wayne Alexander Caldwell, said Candice Lively, 6th Circuit deputy solicitor.

Judge Brian Gibbons sentenced Gregory Wednesday on the manslaughter charge that carries a range of two to 30 years. Gregory receives credit for more than 1,000 days of time he was in jail and under house arrest waiting for his case to go to court.

Caldwell, 42, was shot in the head and body after a dispute at a neighborhood event Oct. 9, 2021 in Chester.

Gregory had originally been charged with murder, records show. His stand-your-ground immunity claim concerning the shooting was previously denied by another judge, Lively said.

This story was originally published August 29, 2024 at 10:07 AM.

Related Stories from Rock Hill Herald
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER