Crime

Man, woman get 15 years from York County death where a body was found in freight trailer

Two people from York County were sentenced to 15 years in prison for roles in the robbery and shooting death of a man found wrapped in blanket in a freight trailer.
Two people from York County were sentenced to 15 years in prison for roles in the robbery and shooting death of a man found wrapped in blanket in a freight trailer. Getty Images/iStockphoto

Two people from York County received 15-year prison sentences for their roles in a deadly armed robbery in 2021 where deputies found a person shot to death inside a freight trailer.

Derek Jason Brown, 33, and Yevonne Nicole Price, 41, pleaded guilty Tuesday to accessory after the fact and armed robbery in York County criminal court at the Moss Justice Center. The 15-year sentences were a negotiated plea deal. Both Brown and Price originally were charged with murder.

Their charges are connected to the death of Steven Kyle Faris, 35, whose body was found wrapped in a blanket on Twin Streams Lane in early July 2021. The area is west of Lake Wylie.

Faris died from shotgun blasts days earlier, 16th Circuit Deputy Solicitor John Anthony said in court.

A third defendant, Michael Eugene Davis, 50, already is in prison serving a 21-year sentence after pleading guilty last year to voluntary manslaughter and armed robbery.

Deputies arrested Brown, Price and Davis days after Brown was seen riding around in Faris’ car. Deputies found DNA from both Brown and Price that connected them to Faris’ death, Anthony said.

“Our belief is Mr. Davis is the one who fired the shots that killed Mr. Faris,” Anthony told Judge Dan Hall. “However, both are very culpable in this robbery and killing.”

Both Brown and Price expressed remorse for Faris’s death in court, and blamed their involvement with drugs. Price said Faris, the victim, was her friend before the robbery.

“Drugs and bad decisions are a terrible combination,” Brown told Judge Hall.

Both Price and Brown had been in jail without bail since they were arrested over three years ago.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER