Crime

Rock Hill man arrested for gun sale shooting across from Winthrop University

The alleged triggerman in a shooting across from Winthrop University surrendered to police on Sunday — almost a month after the incident happened.
The alleged triggerman in a shooting across from Winthrop University surrendered to police on Sunday — almost a month after the incident happened.

The alleged triggerman in an August shooting in a parking lot across the street from Winthrop University turned himself in Sunday, police said.

Jerrique Tavrone Markez Dunham, 19, of Rock Hill, surrendered Sunday. That’s almost a month after the 18-year-old victim was shot in the head in the parking lot of a McDonald’s restaurant, the Rock Hill Police Department said in a statement.

The shooting happened across Cherry Road from the Winthrop campus, south of Oakland Avenue. Classes for the fall semester had started days earlier in August.

Dunham is charged with attempted murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime.

Law enforcement had sought Durham since shortly after the shooting. Rock Hill police Lt. Michael Chavis said. Police said previously in court the shooting happened during a gun sale. The victim was talking to people inside an SUV when he was shot, police said.

The victim’s name has not been released. His current condition was not available Monday, but he previously was hospitalized in stable condition, Chavis said.

Dunham also is charged with two counts of shooting into a dwelling from a previous incident, police said. No details about the other shooting Dunham is charged with have been released.

Officers previously arrested Durham’s brother, Jameson Larone Dunham, 20, of Chester, on an accessory after the fact charge from the McDonald’s lot incident.

Both suspects remain in the York County jail, according to the sheriff’s office website.

Related Stories from Rock Hill Herald
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER