Crime

Teen dead, 2 others shot in Chester County. Suspect caught in Charlotte, now back in SC

A Chester County, South Carolina, sheriff’s office vehicle.
A Chester County, South Carolina, sheriff’s office vehicle. Chester County Sheriff's Office.

A teen caught in Charlotte after another teen died and two other people were wounded in shootings in southern Chester County over the weekend has been extradited back to South Carolina to face charges, according to sheriff officials and jail records

Ronrico Lamont Mccullough Jr., 18, is charged with murder, two counts of attempted murder, two counts of shooting into an occupied dwelling, two counts of possession of a weapon during a violent crime, armed robbery, and burglary, according to jail records and a statement from Sheriff Max Dorsey.

Mccullough was arrested hours after the Saturday night shootings in Mecklenburg County in North Carolina by officers including Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, Dorsey said.

Mccullough waived extradition in North Carolina Tuesday and was transported to the sheriff’s office in Chester where he will be served the arrest warrants and appear in court, Dorsey said.

The shootings

The victims were shot only minutes apart on Ridgeway Road and McClinton Road near Great Falls on Saturday night, Dorsey said in a statement and on the sheriff’s office Facebook page.

Camryn A. Young, 18, died after being shot in the Ridgeway Road incident, Chester County Coroner Terry Tinker said.

The two other victims who were hurt have not been identified.

No motive for the shootings has been released.

The shootings Saturday are the second incident in the rural area in just a few days. Great Falls is located between Rock Hill and Columbia in eastern Chester County near the Catawba River. Chester County has around 32,000 residents.

Deputies arrested and charged a mother and her son after two teens were shot Wednesday, April 9, on Ridgeway Road near Great Falls, Dorsey said last week.

Related Stories from Rock Hill Herald
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER