SC man who killed teen in Lake Wylie drug deal can’t use self-defense: Prosecutor
A York County man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison after killing a teenager who prosecutors say was trying to rob him during a drug deal near Lake Wylie.
Noah Immanuel Walter, 20, could not claim self-defense under South Carolina’s stand your ground law because Walter was selling drugs at the time, prosecutors said.
Walter pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and a drug charge Thursday in York County criminal court in a negotiated plea deal from the July 26 shooting of Nathan Antonio Martinez, 16.
York County Sheriff’s Office deputies originally charged Walter with murder, but the investigation showed Martinez had planned to rob Walter after the two met in a car for Walter to sell Martinez a THC vape, 16th Circuit Deputy Solicitor John Anthony said in court. Walter told officers Martinez pulled a gun on him so he shot Martinez, Anthony said.
“Mr. Walter said that he had a Glock pistol in his lap, and after being confronted by Mr. Martinez, he grabbed his pistol and he shot Martinez three to four times,” Anthony said in court. “Mr. Walter initially denied that drugs were involved in this incident but eventually admitted he had been contacted by Mr. Martinez about selling him a THC cartridge.”
Walter fled after the shooting but detectives tracked Martinez’ cellphone to Walter’s home, according to Anthony. Text messages found by investigators showed Martinez had plotted to rob Walter, Anthony said.
If Walter hadn’t been selling drugs, he would have almost certainly been immune from prosecution under the state’s stand your ground law, Anthony said in court.
State law says the stand your ground does not apply when someone “who uses deadly force is engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further an unlawful activity.”
Walter apologizes in court
Walter, represented by Rock Hill defense lawyer Leland Greeley, offered “my condolences” to the Martinez family in court.
“I would also like to apologize to my family and the Martinez family for everything I put them through,” Walter told Judge Kelly. “And I hope that one day they can find it in their hearts to forgive me.”
Walter, who had been jailed without bail since his arrest, gets 145 days credit toward the 10-year sentence.