Crime

Bones found in SC are a Latino man. But even with DNA, identity yet a mystery

A composite picture generated by a genetic genealogy company after testing of bones found in Lancaster County, South Carolina in 2024.
A composite picture generated by a genetic genealogy company after testing of bones found in Lancaster County, South Carolina in 2024. Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office.

Testing of bones found in Lancaster County in 2024 has shown they are of a Latino male, but the person’s identity remains unknown, officials said Friday.

It also remains unclear how the man died or how long the bones had been there.

A utility worker found skeletal remains in woods off Bethel Road east of the Catawba River on Nov. 13, 2024. Lancaster County Coroner Karla Knight-Deese had a forensic anthropologist and a genetics company test the bones.

DNA and other testing showed the male to be around 5 feet 7 inches tall and 25 years old, according to a statement Friday from the coroner and Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office. But even with testing, results show the man could have been anywhere from late teens to early 30s and somewhat taller or shorter.

The genetic genealogy company generated a computer sketch of what the man may have looked like, which officials released publicly Friday.

Knight-Deese told The Herald on Friday that her investigation remains ongoing to continue to try and identify the person.

When the bones were found, officials said they had been there for years. Deputies have not matched any missing persons reports with the bones, Sheriff Barry Faile said.

The investigation remains ongoing into how long the bones were there and what caused the death, said Doug Barfield, spokesman for the sheriff’s office.

“Nothing has told us yet how he died,” Barfield said Friday.

Anyone with information about the person can call the sheriff’s office at 803-283-3388.

Read Next
Read Next
Read Next
Related Stories from Rock Hill Herald
Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER