Crime

York County man faces murder charge in shooting of woman, 18, in Rock Hill: Police

Rock Hill, South Carolina police said they have charged a 34-year-old man with murder after an 18-year-old woman was shot on May 16, 2026, officials said.
Rock Hill, South Carolina police said they have charged a 34-year-old man with murder after an 18-year-old woman was shot on May 16, 2026, officials said.

A South Carolina man has been arrested and charged with murder after an 18-year-old woman was found shot to death outside a Rock Hill house Saturday night, police said.

Sean Xavier Hubbard, 34, of Clover, is accused of shooting the woman around 11 p.m. in the 700 block of Mount Gallant Road after shooting into the same house earlier in the day when no one was home, the Rock Hill Police Department said in a statement.

The victim has not yet been identified by the York County Coroner. The area of the shooting is in near where Mount Gallant Road intersects with Anderson Road.

It is unclear what relationship, if any, the victim had to Hubbard or who was the intended target, Rock Hill police Lt. Michael Chavis told The Herald Sunday.

Police have not released details about a possible motive for the shootings.

The York County SWAT team and Rock Hill police took Hubbard into custody early Sunday morning on Fig Branch Road near Lake Wylie more than 20 miles away from the shooting scene in Rock Hill, according to police and official social media postings from the York County Sheriff’s Office.

The weapon believed to be used in the killing has been recovered by police, Chavis said. He did not say what type of gun it was.

Hubbard faces charges of murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime in the shooting, and a charge of discharging a firearm into a dwelling from shooting into the unoccupied house, according to police.

Hubbard was scheduled for a first court appearance Sunday in front of a Rock Hill city judge on all the charges. A city judge cannot set bail in a murder case, so Hubbard will be transferred to the York County jail afterward.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER