Three charged in connection with Lancaster County Russian roulette death

Three men have been charged with moving the body of a Lancaster County man who died in January while playing Russian roulette, according to the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office.

Lakendrick Tayon Wade, 20, and Quindarreus Omar Johnson, 19, both of Lancaster, were charged with unauthorized removal of a dead body, said Doug Barfield, a sheriff’s office spokesman. Wade was charged Feb. 6, and Johnson was taken into custody Wednesday by police in Cheraw. He was brought back to Lancaster County.

Demarcus O’Brian Foster, 28, of Lancaster, was arrested Feb. 15 and charged with possession of a pistol by a person convicted of a violent crime, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of a stolen pistol.

The suspects are accused of moving the body of 22-year-old Brandon Wheeler Reese after he shot himself in the head while playing Russian roulette Jan. 11. Foster provided the Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver, Barfield said.

Reese’s body was found the afternoon of Jan. 12. The case was initially investigated as a homicide, but investigators later determined Reese’s death was accidental.

Wade told investigators that Reese came to his home on McIlwain Road wanting a gun. Reese drove Wade and another person to Palidin Trailer Park to Foster’s home for the weapon, Barfield said.

Foster stood outside the open front passenger door of the truck and handed Reese the revolver, Barfield said. He told Reese that if he successfully played Russian roulette with the revolver, he could take it.

Reese spun the cylinder once and pulled the trigger with the revolver pointed toward the floorboard of the truck, investigators said. It did not fire. Reese then pointed the revolver at the right side of his head and pulled the trigger again. The revolver fired, killing Reese at the trailer park.

Foster took the gun and left the scene, investigators determined. Wade and Johnson moved Reese to the front passenger floorboard of the truck, and Wade drove Reese to Springs Memorial Hospital but “became fearful when he arrived at the hospital, and did not stop.”

Hospital security cameras showed the truck driving past the entrance at 9:57 p.m., Barfield said. Wade then drove the truck to John Everall Road, and he and Johnson left the truck and walked off. Johnson called a female friend, who picked them up on John Everall Road.

Barfield said Foster cooperated in assisting investigators with recovering the gun, which was determined by a firearms examiner at the State Law Enforcement Division to be the firearm that fired the fatal bullet.

Wade also was questioned by investigators about a shooting incident that occurred at 605 E. Marion St. in Kershaw on Jan. 3 and was charged with attempted murder in that case.

Teddy Kulmala: 803-329-4082, @teddy_kulmala