Crime

2 charged, 1 with murder, after NC man found shot to death in Lancaster

Two Lancaster men have been charged after a North Carolina man was shot to death Sunday following a fight, police said.

Antonio Jermaine Mickle, 37, and Reno Rodreigus Blakely, 42, were arrested hours after a man was found shot to death in a driveway on Crenson Drive, said Doug Barfield, spokesman for the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office.

Mickle is charged with murder, according to police and court records.

Blakely is charged with accessory before the fact to murder, records show.

The deceased man was identified as Ethan Dailey, 29, of Waxhaw, N.C., in Union County., said Lancaster County Coroner Karla Knight-Deese. Dailey was shot several times, she said.

Dailey was killed around 1:15 a.m. Sunday after a fight with Mickle earlier in the evening at a different location on Evans Drive in Lancaster, Barfield said.

Antonio Jermaine Mickle, left, and Reno Rodreigus Blakely
Antonio Jermaine Mickle, left, and Reno Rodreigus Blakely Lancaster County Sheriff's Office

Witnesses at the Crenson Drive location where Dailey was shot said he was a guest there, Barfield said.

Dailey and others went to a birthday party nearby on Evans Drive, where Dailey and Mickle got into a fight, Barfield said.

Dailey left the party and went back to the Crenson Drive home where he stayed outside in the yard, Barfield said.

“Our investigation shows that Mr. Mickle is believed to have been the shooter and Mr. Blakley drove him to the place where the shooting took place,” Barfield said.

Deputies went to a different address and after a search arrested both Mickle and Blakely, Barfield said.

Lancaster County Sheriff Barry Faile said in a statement to The Herald that the shooting could have been avoided if police had been called after the fight on Evans Drive.

“Mickle or someone else at the party should have called us to investigate the fight so that we could take appropriate action,” Faile said.

Both Mickle and Blakely remain at the Lancaster County jail without bail after they were denied bond in a court hearing late Sunday.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER